*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945274-Remembering-A-Fallen-AuthorArmistice-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#945274 added November 10, 2018 at 8:49am
Restrictions: None
Remembering A Fallen Author_Armistice Day
Sunday is Veteran's Day, let's honor the men and women who have served by mentioning either someone you know personally or a poem, a simple thank you letter, it's your blog you know what will work the best. Thank you to all the men and women who have served or are serving.








November 11 2018 marks the Century Anniversary of Armistice Day ending World War I. “The War To End All Wars,” World War I was termed.


History tells us that War has been with us as long as history has been recorded, and almost everyone knows that War did not end with “The War to End All Wars.” In fact, less than 21 years later, Hitler invaded Poland, and shortly the next World War began.





I've brought some research links and then I intend to talk about a famous World War I soldier.





https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/arts/national-wwi-museum-kansas-city.html





https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2018/11/AP_181111013-1000x667.jpg





Readers who are aficionados of Weird Fiction, Phantasy, or early 20th Century British Fiction will remember the illustrious William Hope Hodgson. A prolific and excellent writer, Mr. Hodgson volunteered to serve England when World War I commenced, despite his age (37). After suffering injuries, he persisted in returning to the front and served in France. In April 1918, he and a fellow soldier were killed by a German shell. He was only 40.





To his beloved mother, he had written:


“The sun was pretty low as I came back, and far off across that desolation, here and there they showed–just formless, squarish, cornerless masses erected by man against the infernal Storm that sweeps for ever, night and day, day and night, across that most atrocious Plain of Destruction. My God! talk about a Lost World–talk about the end of the World; talk about the ‘Night Land’–it is all here, not more than two hundred odd miles from where you sit infinitely remote. And the infinite, monstrous, dreadful pathos of the things one sees–the great shell-hole with over thirty crosses sticking in it; some just up out of the water–and the dead below them, submerged….If I live and come somehow out of this (and certainly, please God, I shall and hope to), what a book I shall write if my old ‘ability’ with the pen has not forsaken me.” (OUT OF THE STORM, Donald Grant. West Kingston, Rhode Island, 1975. Pg 115.)


https://williamhopehodgson.wordpress.com/tag/world-war-one/









© Copyright 2018 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945274-Remembering-A-Fallen-AuthorArmistice-Day