*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945375-Blessings
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2161749
Just shooting the poop with Lori
#945375 added November 11, 2018 at 9:10pm
Restrictions: None
Blessings
Blessings, I have many, too many to list here. Let's just say, that my most special blessings come in the form of family. They are people that love me and I reciprocate the feelings. This year has been a difficult journey for all of us. In January, one of my sisters was diagnosed with Leukemia. She spent months in the hospital with them throwing every chemo treatment at her that she could stand. She was the weakest I had ever seen her. Her only option became a bone marrow transplant for which one of my brothers was the best option. He, however, was facing some of his own medical issues and was ruled out as a donor. My sister was placed on a list to receive a donor from the pool of donors. Things looked pretty bleak for a while until an international match was found Today, my sister tested as 100% cancer free and 100% donor marrow. She will still face some health issues and there is always the worry of a return to the illness. But all of this good news came about because of one selfless good deed by a stranger. Thank you, seems inadequate. Welcome to my family, oh blessed and loving stranger. May God keep you safe and warm this Thanksgiving and all through the years.

The story does not end there, my brother who wanted more than anything to be the donor for my sister, died last month. We are still mourning his loss and the dinner table will be a little less crowded this year. He was a hard man to know but at the end of his life, he reached out for the family. He inspired me with his willingness to give life no matter the cost to himself. At the end of the day, we can only strive to keep our hearts open.

© Copyright 2018 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945375-Blessings