*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946537-Delighted-Enough
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#946537 added November 29, 2018 at 1:53pm
Restrictions: None
Delighted Enough!

Prompt: "You have delighted us long enough." Mrs. Bennet said this to her daughter Mary after she sang off key while playing the piano in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. When have you been delighted by people long enough?


-----

Mrs. Bennett’s left-handed compliments always put a smile on my face. Now I have to think of the long-enoughs in my life.

Here it goes, although this may not be all.

1. People who keep telling me of their troubles, not different ones but the same trouble, and asking for advice when I’ve already told them umpteen times whether I had any advice or not.
“If I were you I would do this,” is an advice, and so is “I don’t know about this and I don’t know what to say.”
Needless to say, I have been delighted enough with giving the same advice for the same problem to the same people.

2. There exist a few kinds of music or movies or TV shows I don’t care about. When people (my husband, mostly) ask me to listen to or watch it with them, they have delighted me enough with the request of my cooperation involving their viewing/listening preferences.

3. Books in a series where each book is NOT a complete story.

I just finished reading a book called Coma Girl. The whole thing is one book and is given as a serial…in six parts! Except when you get the first book, you don’t know it and you think it is a complete book what you are giving time and energy for.

The first part was free and I didn’t know it was a serial, and since the first part I liked a lot, I bought the second and third parts for $2.99 each, and still didn’t know how far it would go. Then Amazon offered a three-month Prime Reading for $.99, so I read the last three by borrowing them.

I hate it when people do that. Imagine that a novella is about 200 Amazon pages. Each book in the series was 90 pages, which could be read in less than a half-hour.

You know what happens to this writer as long as I am alive? Although I really enjoyed the book, her style of writing, and the characters, I’ll never start reading another book by her. I probably would have bought her books if they were sold in one volume and was priced $16.99

I have been delighted enough with her ways of pushing her books.

4. People who ask me why I keep writing if my writing isn’t making any money.

First, I write because I love doing it.

Then, my writing isn’t making any money because I don’t like going through the publishing process as I am not a vendor. I do not even attempt it even with those friends in WdC who have publishing companies.

The reason is, I already went through it once on the academic level and had my fill.

Moreover, I am not going to spend my last days on earth, knowingly doing what irks me.


© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946537-Delighted-Enough