*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946769-Fortunes-and-Consequences
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#946769 added December 3, 2018 at 12:47pm
Restrictions: None
Fortunes and Consequences
Prompt: Seneca said, “A great fortune is a great slavery.” What might such a great fortune be and do you agree with Seneca’s claim?

--------

I like Seneca and I agree with him here.

On this subject, the first thing that comes to mind is a sudden windfall like winning the lotto. Should that happen, you’d have a responsibility to keep and use that money in the best way possible, which would take a lot of work. Then you have to protect it from thieves and protect yourself even more carefully because of it. Not to mention that your false friends would abound, also. Good luck figuring out who are your real friends!

Yet, it is not only the riches and money. A friend of mine always wanted a big house; now that she has a huge one, she is much more miserable than when she used to live in a three-room apartment because the house needs a lot of money, and since she has been living in it for over ten years, repairs and upkeep are a problem. It also uses too much electricity, water, etc and she needs to make a lot more money just to keep it up. Then, she is so tired of cleaning it all the time because she wants to save money for the other things the house needs. In short, her big house has become a dictator and she its slave.

Anything you think is a great fortune--even arts, reading, writing, a good garden, etc.—needs constant caring. If the caring you give to it is heartfelt and easy on you, then there is no problem, but if you are forcing yourself and feeling disadvantaged in other areas because of it, then you are being a slave to that good thing or what you consider is your good fortune.

© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946769-Fortunes-and-Consequences