*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946971-Saphira
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2175490
Flash fiction stories...
#946971 added February 19, 2019 at 7:38pm
Restrictions: None
🏆Saphira
I didn’t wake up here. I just sort of...was already here, in mid-run, through the snowy trees. Where? I didn’t know this place. The snow danced lazily down from a grayish purple sky. The first snow of the year. I didn’t know how I knew that.

I slowed my pace, confused. How did I get here? What was I running from? Who was I? I had on a flowing white cotton dress and no shoes. Not good winter apparel, but oddly I wasn’t cold. I wasn’t anything.

I stopped in my tracks. Listened. What was that sound? The crunch of twigs, leaves, ice. I remembered why I had been running and shot off down the slick, white path. The dark apparition behind me was gaining ground. I could feel it somehow reaching out...calling my name…

Saphira…


My eyes jerked open at the sound of that name. Her name. A scream was already halfway out of my mouth. When would it stop? We’d already established in therapy that I was the monster. When would I stop being punished for being born?

“Bob? Was it that dream again...about your sister?” My wife, Sandra rolled over in bed and rubbed my back.

“Yes, Dear. Go back to sleep.”

I climbed out of bed and padded down the stairs. I had an urge to call my mom, but it was late. Too late to wake her. I’d heard all the stories. My sister and I shared a womb. One day, she died, and no one could explain why. Though my parents had never named her, I knew it all too well. I jotted the name down on a discarded envelope on the counter. I couldn't stop myself...

Saphira
She calls to me in the darkness and I am dead inside...


~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Winner!!!


Written for both
Daily Flash Fiction Contest AND
The 48 Hour Media Prompt Challenge
© Copyright 2019 IceSkatingSugarCube (UN: jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IceSkatingSugarCube has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946971-Saphira