*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948428-Shorter-Days
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#948428 added December 29, 2018 at 4:35pm
Restrictions: None
Shorter Days
         Many people are depressed this time of year. It has one of the highest suicide rates all year. Some people have mistakenly thought it was due to loneliness or absence of family during the holidays. Some times that may be true. But studies have shown it has more to do with the lack of light. The days are shorter. After the winter solstice suicides go up, while the time of darkness increases.

         The lesson learned from this is that we all need more natural light. If you have an invalid or elderly person in your home, get them to a window or out of doors every day, weather permitting. Nursing homes and senior communities need large windows with open drapes or blinds. Don't let your teenager hang out in his room all day or in front of the TV. He needs outdoor light. You need light.

         When you carry the trash outside, stop and stretch and take a deep breath before you go back inside. Don't bury yourself in the sub-basement at the library doing research. Walk outside occasionally. If you work in an inner office, go to a window and look out every hour or two, or go outside with the smokers on your break. Do whatever you need to do to prevent getting into a funky mood. You might not be suicidal, but you might be prone to cabin fever or depression. Just get some light, sunlight if possible.

         Be aware of the people around you and the moods they are in. Apparently, our chemistry feeds on natural light. If they seem a little down, you don't even have to discuss it with them. Just find an excuse to get them outside or in front of a big window. Adjusting a sleep schedule to get the most out of the day time may help people who are stressed or taking medicines. The outdoors may help fight the side effects this time of year.

         So let the light in.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948428-Shorter-Days