*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948898-Non-Fiction-Prompt
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#948898 added January 4, 2019 at 8:04pm
Restrictions: None
Non-Fiction Prompt
Prompt: In your own non-fiction, have you struggled with representing yourself honestly while being conscious of how others might view you? Do you have any suggestions for non-fiction writers?

----

By “own non-fiction,” I am guessing this question has to do with me talking about myself. I have written about myself a lot in my blogs, not so much as to the actual events but about who I am.

In general, I don’t like to talk too much about myself, especially about subjects my mind is half made-up. For example, if in such and such a situation I have acted in a certain way, I might tell of the situation, but I won’t talk about why I have acted/felt that way if I have two minds about it and I have surprised myself. (Believe me, I surprise me more than anyone else does.) *Rolling*

When I do write about myself and my experiences, though, I try to be factual. As to representing oneself honestly, can anyone really do that? Not because one worries of others' assessments but because one can really be at fault in seeing oneself correctly.

“Any suggestions for non-fiction writers?”

This is what I can come up with.

1. Learn the basics of the craft as to grammar, building good sentences and paragraphs, and giving your piece a logical sequence.

2. Create a list, itemizing what your content will consist of.

3. Choose a topic you are familiar with and know well. If not, research, research, research. You can never do enough research, but once you feel you have enough material, you are good to go.

4. Organize your research material and decide where and how you’ll insert your personal opinions, if need be.

5, If you are writing a memoir or creative non-fiction, don’t limit yourself as to the subject matter and what may be more popular. Write what feels right to you, as long as you express yourself in a narrative way as if you are telling a fictional story. At this point, make sure you know how to present characters, set up hooks, and create a climax and an ending.

6. Your style--chatty, serious, friendly etc.—is your business.

7. Try to stick to the facts as much as you can tell them Do not tell anything that you will regret later, as to getting yourself in trouble with the family members, your workplace, or the law. Still, how much you open up is again your business. If you have a burning need to tell something no matter the consequences, then, do so.

© Copyright 2019 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948898-Non-Fiction-Prompt