*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949161-Persona-verses-Real-World-Me
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#949161 added January 8, 2019 at 9:31am
Restrictions: None
Persona verses Real World Me
30 Day Blogging Challenge
PROMPT January 8th
How is your online persona different from your real world persona? How much attention do you pay to your personal privacy when communicating with others online?


This is an interesting prompt to consider. I would like to think my online persona isn't all that different from my real world persona with the exception of my handle.

I publish under a handle, not my real world name for a few reasons. Initially I adopted the handle when I began to gain acceptances and publications in the erotic and erotic horror genres. There was something about the gender neutrality it gave me that strongly appealed to me. At the time I first started with those genres, there wasn't that same main stream acceptance for the genre. Back then, it still felt like something I had to explain to people. Back then I still suffered from some residual shyness about the material I produced. Then, the more I had pieces accepted, the more I read and met other writers, both my confidence and my love for this particular genre blossomed. I began to understand that Erotica was the genre that most empowered me as a writer. Regardless of my personal feelings about the work itself (and I am not fan), the popularity of Fifty Shades has really opened doors on a genre for which there is a bonified, appreciative and loyal audience. It has also given a much deserved renaissance to the truly great and gifted erotica writers like DH Lawrence and Anis Nin. In fact, another reason I first adopted my handle was as a nod in appreciation for two of my favorite classical writers, DH Lawrence and CS Lewis...both of whom employed their initials in their pen names. I still get that classic reaction when people ask me what I write and I tell them Erotica...but now that reaction is followed by unapologetic interest too. This is nice.

These days I write less erotica then I used too, I write less of everything that I used too - demands of life and all. I still write under my handle. I still enjoy the mystery a bit, especially when I dabble and explore genres that are still tend to be more male-dominated. As far as who I am in the real world? I'm a full-time working mom, traits that have come to describe more of me than I would like to admit. I try to be "more" most days, try to follow my passions and my interests - carve out as much "me" time as I can - which isn't nearly enough to write as much as I would like too. I still hope in the coming year to add more publishing credits to my bio. In the meantime, I try to keep active with the blogging because it keeps the muse from getting rusty and complaisant. Blogging keeps me honest, keeps me real and help me keep the craft in focus. Blogging also lets me "meet" other writers, helps me connect with a community and a fellowship that I really enjoy.


© Copyright 2019 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949161-Persona-verses-Real-World-Me