*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951744-New-Tricks-to-a-Better-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2180333
Recording the adventure of being an indie authour.
#951744 added February 11, 2019 at 2:14pm
Restrictions: None
New Tricks to a Better Story
I'm trying out a new story writing method. I use the "Golden Triangle" of James Scott Bell, and the 5 Point Plot by Rob Parnell. Those two methods work seamlessly together. The GT helps me dig a bit deeper into my characters. The 5 Point keeps me on track.

With my Fink the Mink short story, the GT opened up a whole new world to the characters I already thought I knew quite well. After all, I've been writing about them off and on for years. But suddenly, the characters took over their diary entries and I discovered new fears, new motivations, a good part of the story completely changed.

Another thing I've found really helpful came from Parnell - writing a three sentence story pitch before writing.

1. First sentence: What the story is about.
2. Next sentence begins with "When."
3. Last sentence begins with "Now."

I wrote the first one from Falloden's POV. It would have been an ok story, but not that interesting. I wrote the second one from Fink's. That proved to be an interesting story. That's the one we go with. :)

I'd never thought about looking through the eyes of my other characters. I simply go with the character that first popped into my head. But looking at the story through various POV's can open up a whole new world to the story. And, now I know a really fast trick I can do in about 5 minutes to do that. :)

© Copyright 2019 paranormalnut (UN: paranormalnut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
paranormalnut has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951744-New-Tricks-to-a-Better-Story