*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951794-Conversational
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#951794 added February 12, 2019 at 12:35am
Restrictions: None
Conversational
I'm certainly not an expert on conversations, but this strikes me as annoying:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-3-minutes-it-takes-to-read-this-will-impr...

The 3 Minutes It Takes To Read This Will Improve Your Conversations Forever

Ask “why” three times.

You want to annoy me? Keep asking me "why?" There are reasons I never wanted kids, and their constant "Why?"s are high on top of the list, along with diapers and my parents always telling me "Just you wait until you have kids."

Don’t ask, “What was fun about your trip?” Instead, drill down and ask, “What was the single most fun moment of the trip?”

I really, really, despise questions like this. It's like when people ask me, "What was your most embarrassing moment?" Fuck if I know - I've blocked it out. You want me to pick one of the other 10,000 moments at random? Then it won't be the most embarrassing.

(Lots of examples of that in the article.)

Look, I'm pretty sure there's some useful information here. Avoiding yes/no questions - I get that. "Wanna go to the movies?" "No." "Did you have a good day?" "Yes." But turning this around, someone asking me a lot of these questions feels like putting me on the spot.

But hell, what do I know? I'm an introverted basement troll who happens to not live in a basement. What do you think makes for good conversation?

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951794-Conversational