*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
7
10
11
12
13
16
17
18
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952544
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2180093
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#952544 added February 20, 2019 at 10:38pm
Restrictions: None
Keeping the Company of Facades
Previously: "The Magical Transvestites, Part 2

(Written by Tal)

"Look" you tell the trio in front you. "I—" you stop yourself short. You were about to say you trust them, but can you really? They have been manipulating your life with this magic, and the only real reason you're in this whole situation to begin with, is because they botched whatever their secret plan was with you. Can you honestly tell yourself your ready to put on one of these 'disguises,' and act like this is somehow normal?

"I...uh...on second thought don't know if I'm really ready to jump into being—" You point at the mask laying on the bed beside Fairfax. "Can I stick with maybe just being me for now?"

You've decided it's best not to directly meddle with their apparent investigation into this 'mystery beta,' till you at least get a better read on them.

The three of them glance at each other for a moment. Mike and Carlos' posture appears to relax while an unfazed Philip returns his characteristic intense gaze to you. "That's perfectly fine, Will," he replies. "This wasn't something we started doing lightly either."

"It is a lot of fun though," Michael interrupts with as sly grin, "Tell me you didn't enjoy having all the hottest girls at Westside suddenly become your besties."

"Of course he did, who wouldn't?" Carlos joins in. "He was so smitten with our attention, I don't think he stopped to even question why. Now thanks to us, half the everyone at Westside -- Hell-- half the everyone at Eastside now know who is Will Prescott."

"I hope, at very least Will, it is obvious that our intentions with our little social experiment have been altruistic in nature. Albeit, unfortunately deceitful," remarks Fairfax.

You get a tight feeling in your chest. Does any of it matter if it's all built on fabricated lies? Part of you feels deeply betrayed, but strangely another part of you somehow feels, dare say, kind of empowered? As much as you want to, you can't deny this insane apparent experiment of theirs seems to have some how freed you from your past baggage with Lisa, and for a change people have started actually noticing you.

"Beside our current investigation into this Beta, I'd very much like to continue our social experiment, with your permission of course," says Fairfax. But as you're about to reply, the purse on the floor beside him buzzes. He takes out of it an oversized gold clad phone and lets out a small sigh as he unlocks it.

"Maria has to get home soon. Meet back here later this evening?" he asks Michael and Carlos. "We'll move the Lucy beta out to the storage unit then, so we can spend the night figuring it out."

"Cheerleader slumber party?!" Michael beams excitedly as he picks himself back up from his slouch, which causes the bed sheet covering him to very briefly flash the girl clothes he is wearing underneath.

"Well, the purpose will be to get to the bottom of the Beta. One of us will have to sleep with Lucy's mask on so we can get her full memories," notes Philip.

"Whelp, if Will's not, then I volunteer. Lucy is such a fox," adds Michael, again with a smile.

"Hey hey! not so fast there, Dibs! I don't think any of us would mind. But what about the Beta? We aren't going to leave it here unmasked, are we?" Carlos responds.

"For the time being, yes, I think that's best. It seems to be in a comatose state without the mask. I think it's best we stay on the side of caution and only re-awaken it till we have some idea what we're dealing with," affirms Philip, who then looks to you. "Tonight we may need your truck, Will. A helping hand moving it would be immensely appreciated."

"Uh— sure," you nod in agreement. You figure this is may be a good starting point to begin to understand them.

"Well then it's decided. We will meet back here at 8:30 tonight," Fairfax says and starts typing on his phone. "I'll let Shank know."


* * * * *


The three of them again don their magical masks, and are instantly replaced by the 3 girls whose lives you've learned they've assumed. The transformation has once more left them unconscious, so you decide to quietly exit the room to look for Keith.

A brief glance around the upstairs rooms turns up negative, so you shuffle down the staircase. The Vrendenburg's house is fairly similar to your own, although may be a bit larger. Certainly there is a noticeable effort that someone makes to keep it immaculately clean.

You turn a corner to the kitchen and are briefly stunned by the sight of the gorgeous Cindy Vrendenburg leaning backwards against a counter top, while being fixated to her phone. She's stunningly beautiful, still dressed in the same crisp outfit as when you arrived.

No. You have to remind yourself-- this isn't Cindy. It's really Keith.

She looks up from her phone and shines her big blue eyes on you. "So? What did the guys say?" she causally asks.

"Well, they said the plan is to meet back here later tonight to move the beta to the storage unit. Uh, and to leave it mask-less for now."

"Fuck, I guess I'm stuck here then to manage her parents. Don't want them finding the thing," she whines, sounding annoyed. "But what about you? Are you going to pick someone to become?"

Again, you've already decided not to, but the question this time sparks anger inside you. Rashly, you grab her wrist and drag her down stairs to the basement, which appears to be a rec room of sorts.

"Dude— what the fuck?!" you bark in her face.

"The fuck, what?" she counters, looking irritated.

"Why didn't you tell me about all this shit?"

"I tried to, Will. We tried. Those times when we wanted you to come hang out for the movie reviews. That was it. But you were being all anti social and stuff."

"And this?!" You motion, flailing your hands at her body. "You're this fucking—"

"I know, isn't it awesome!?" A proud, very Keith like grin, appears on her face. "I'm literally Cindy Vrendenburg right now. I can be her perfectly, and no one can tell the difference! I can even make her say anything I want. Watch."

You shuffle a slight step backwards at that last part of his statement.

She breaks her eye contact with you as she stares at her feet. She runs a hand through her long straight blonde hair, and looks up to you. Her huge blue eyes somehow appear even bigger now, and they sparkle brilliantly. Her expression has entirely changed, it's become a kind of demure shyness, as if she was trying to muster up some amount of courage.

"Will..." she softly says. "I'm really happy you came by today. You see...Seth and I had a fight last night. We have kind of, uh, broken up."

You realize her eyes are sparkling like this because she is on the verge crying.

She shyly looks to the ground again. "Will... I think you're a really sweet guy. I was, um, wondering if you want to, I dunno, maybe go out on a date some time?" She looks back to you, and nervously bites on her bottom lip.

You're completely entranced by her eyes, and you have to swallow hard.

Suddenly, she starts to giggle, and the mischievous grin returns back on her face.

"See?! Like I said. Anything," she boasts.

You're stunned, or perhaps confused? For a brief moment you were exhilarated, Cindy Vrendenburg just asked you out, but then reality set in. This is just Keith screwing with you.

"You know, you're a real asshole," you sneer.

"Why? You seriously wouldn't want to date Cindy?" she asks.

"Well, of course I would, but—"

"Omigod Will! I was soo scared you'd say no. We are totally going to have so much fun together!” She launches herself into you with a hug.

You immediately grab her shoulders and push her away. "Dude! Holy shit, stop it! I was about to say but you're not really Cindy."

She looks up to you with big puppy dog eyes, then bursts into another fit of giggles.

"True. But as far as everyone else at school would be concerned, I am her. And man, just think of what it'd do to your reputation," she smiles and hugs herself, "to have Cindy hanging off your shoulder. It would be perfect for our social experiment."

"And what about Seth? He would be on a warpath."

"I know! That's what makes this such a great idea!" She squeals. “It's a total win-win for both of us!"

To continue: "A Manufactured Rebound

© Copyright 2019 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952544