*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953100-Day-26-Pat-Metheny---Farmers-Trust
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2181860
For the Soundtrack of Your Life Challenge
#953100 added February 25, 2019 at 10:20am
Restrictions: None
Day 26: Pat Metheny - Farmer's Trust
It seems my destiny was to go to the west coast. I'd been there, and wanted to go back, and found a job. I loved listening to this whole thing while heading out. Maybe, just maybe, it was time to settle in. I would, holding just that job and one other in eighteen years. I got to raise my sons in a safe and stable environment. Generally, I enjoy my work.

I actually saw him perform with his band at the ballroom at my university. It was my second time around, so I was older, and jazz isn't huge in the area. So, I watched from a folding chair in the front row. A couple people even folded some up so we could dance. It was a pretty epic night.





Here's a fun story. I discovered this song when I watched the movie Fandango. I loved it. Even though it was a Texas, I could relate, because it's an ultimate road trip movie, and I was in the midst of wild road trips! It was also Kevin Costner's first movie. Well, my college basketball team was in the final four that year, and I was in attendance. I've written all about these exploits. Well, over on the opposing side of the stadium, decked out in enemy colors... is Costner. His people were not letting anyone get to him. I'd changed to a point where I wouldn't use my "skills" to work for evil, but would getting to Costner really be evil? No, it wouldn't, so I did. I waited for a pause in the game and approached him.

"Mr. Costner, I know you're busy, but could you sign something for someone who hates me?" I asked. I'm all decked out, face painted, the opponent.
"What?" He looked at me. I knew the approach threw him off.
"I have a professor back home that hates my guts, but loves you a lot." I said. "I come back with an autograph from you, my life gets way easier."

So he signs the program I have.

Hey Judy,
I hear you're a big fan.
With love,
Kevin Costner


He even says to tell her hello. Then I made a huge gaff. I said, "I loved you in Fandango! Best movie you've ever done!" Robin Hood had just come out. I got a death stare and was ushered out. Best payback for a teacher who always messed with you and gave you bad grades? Toss that program on her desk and tell her Costner says hello...


This is also kind of an interesting tidbit. They never created a soundtrack to the movie. It wasn't a first run, and only had a cult following, But Cream, Janis, Elton, Steppenwolf, Blind Faith? It staggers the mind, so before the advent of the internet, I set out to make my own. Most of it was easy, but this album, Travels, was out of print. I finally found it, after searching all the old record stores, at the public library. The however, would not let me record anything -- you couldn't check them out -- without a letter from the record company. So I wrote them.

After about three weeks I received a package. It had no return address, and was handwritten. Back then random packages just didn't explode, so I opened it. It contained a brand new double CD, that were cutting edge, and a note on a scrap of paper. It just said just, "Surprise Surprise!" I still have the CD and the note. Sometimes people are awesome.





© Copyright 2019 Mastiff (UN: mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mastiff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953100-Day-26-Pat-Metheny---Farmers-Trust