*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953895-An-Experiment-in-Writing-Techniques
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2180333
Recording the adventure of being an indie authour.
#953895 added March 7, 2019 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
An Experiment in Writing Techniques
My system for writing short stories right now is a combination of Rob Parnell and James Scott Bell. It's working, and I love it! But there's one thing I've learned while studying Parnell's method of writing - I can't write if I'm calm. It makes me sleepy. I had to go for a walk in 30 degree weather to snap out of it. Then, I had to eat ice cream for a sugar rush. I'm about to head out the door and go for a longer walk to wake up.

Nope, me and meditation before writing just don't cut it. But, give me a good brisk walk and I'll come back pumped up and the words will fly. You might be thinking, "Ah! But the walking relaxes you!" Nope. It gets me charged and hyper. The whole time I'm walking, I'm thinking about my book. How can I improve this scene or that. I have a little memo pad and pen with me to jot down the best ideas. By the time I get back to my writer's cave (van), I'm ready to rock and roll with excitement.

This week has been a good lesson in learning that every writer has his own style of what works and what doesn't. For me, I write my best when I'm hyper and excited about my story. That's when the fun stuff comes out. When I'm calm, I'm serious, and that means a boring story - and I get sleepy. :)

When do you write the best: When you're calm? or Hyper?


© Copyright 2019 paranormalnut (UN: paranormalnut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
paranormalnut has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953895-An-Experiment-in-Writing-Techniques