*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953989-Fish-On-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#953989 added March 8, 2019 at 11:45pm
Restrictions: None
Fish On Friday
         Haven't you always heard about fish on Friday if you're Catholic? I just always assumed that it was an arbitrary rule for reasons of piety. This year, however, it's the buzz on the media. They tell us the rule is to stay away from any warm-blooded animal. So snake or other reptiles will do just as well. That reminds me, I had my first frog leg recently. Not my fave.

         There's a myth about a pope who started the tradition of fish on Friday to help out a commercial fisherman for a very large donation to the church. Researchers have found no substance in this allegedly widespread story. The Vatican has no record hinting of such a donation or an edict. I never heard of it before, but I'm not Catholic. The rumor about the self-serving pope was just a fishy story.

         The tradition doesn't apply only to Fridays. There are many holy days, especially during Lent and Advent, requiring this "sacrifice". It refers to the sacrifice and the blood shed by Jesus. Avoiding sacrificial animals, like beef, lamb, and pork, remind the believer to turn his thoughts to more pious endeavors. Cold-blooded meat only is not just a rule to check off. It was intended to be a meaningful and thought-filled activity.

         It has affected the food business, however. I have always noticed restaurants and college dining rooms offer fish on Fridays, but I thought it was out of consideration for their patron's beliefs. In reality, it was because those places wanted to do business without hurting profits. McDonald realized he couldn't sell as many hamburgers on Fridays way back, so the Fillet O' Fish was born. Now with Lent upon us, everyone else has come up with a new and improved fish sandwich.

         I support people who want to do symbolic things for their own faith, like avoiding red meat and poultry. It's a personal thing, and they don't force anyone else to join them. I don't support people who say no one can eat bacon because they don't eat bacon. I'm also glad there is no commercial snake meat industry, or squirrel brains, or groundhog, etc. I'd hate to see some of those things in fast food places.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953989-Fish-On-Friday