*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957648-Scene-12--Allerford-Awakens
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#957648 added September 27, 2020 at 3:08pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 12 _ Allerford Awakens
Scene 12 Rev D

Scene 12 “Allerford Awakens”

Lars Claussen – Owner of Flywheel Machining / Brodey Campbell’s boss
Conley Timmons – Mayor of Allerford
Dr. Griggs Pierson – Dean of Eastwood Institute of Engineering, Trinity University
Dr. Kumi Okoro – Professor of Manufacturing Engineering, Eastwood Institute of Engineering, Trinity University / Addo Okoro’s father


         “Lars Claussen, Flywheel Machining.”
         “Yes sir, Mr. Claussen. Thank you for coming. Here are your name tag and a packet of information. You are sitting at Table #4. You still have a few minutes before we get started. Feel free to mingle.”
         “Thank you.”
         Lars Claussen didn’t know what to expect, but the personal invitation telephone call from the gentleman at the Community Development Department piqued his interest. The city of Allerford was sinking fast. There were plenty of skills and resources here, but they were rusty around the edges, and pointed in the wrong direction, or more accurately, no direction at all. There wasn’t much time left before Allerford hit bottom, and a turnaround would be impossible. So this ‘Allerford Awakens’ project might be the last hope.
         Claussen had been thinking for some time about selling his company, Flywheel Machining, probably for pennies on the dollar, but at least before everything crashed and his company would only have scrap value. The thought sickened him. The company had a proud history, and he had too many skilled and dedicated people working for him and depending on him. But they didn’t understand that the world had changed, slipping out from under them, leaving them (and him) high, dry, and obsolete. It was a cruel reality, but a reality none the less.
         This luncheon presentation at the Allerford Grand Hotel, the only hotel remaining in town, and not so grand anymore, was being sponsored by the Allerford City Council and hosted by the Allerford Community Development Department.
         Claussen looked around as he entered the dining room. Some he recognized by sight. There was Mayor Conley Timmons chatting with Dr. Griggs Pierson from the Eastwood Engineering Institute. Across the room, engaged in light-hearted banter, he saw two of his competitors and several of his suppliers. In a far corner, he noticed a writer from the local newspaper along with a young reporter and cameraman from Channel 7 News. The two reporters were the only women present. There were others he didn’t recognize at all.
         The wait staff was putting the finishing touches on the lunch setup. Several people had signed in after him, the room was filling up. Based on the number of seats and the crowd, Claussen estimated the guest list to be about thirty people.
         Claussen found his way to Table #4, introduced himself to three who had already taken seats, then sat down and opened the large envelope of information given him at the door. A quick review revealed one copy of a thick document bearing a cover page with a joint label from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Department of Labor. In big letters, the title read “Request for Proposal.” Also there, he found a map of Allerford with several areas outlined and crosshatched. There was a document, several pages thick, of financial information and calculations labeled ‘Draft Cost Proposal for Allerford Awakens.’ Finally, there was a one-page biographical sketch of Dr. Kumi Okoro.
         The plinking of a spoon on a water glass quieted the crowd, and Mayor Timmons gave a brief welcoming remark. He invited everyone to enjoy their lunch and look over the material in the handout packet. After lunch, there would be an explanatory presentation, followed by a generous Q and A period. He made a point to emphasize that the objective of today was an unabashed request for participation.
         Flywheel Machining was established in the 1920s by Lars Claussen’s grandfather to support the major auto manufacturers by supplying precision machined parts for auto engines and transmissions. The company and the city had thrived through the 40s and 50s along with manufacturers and their suppliers nationwide. At their peak, Flywheel had an annual revenue of $25 million, a workforce of fifty skilled machinists and twenty engineering and administrative personnel. Their customer base was six major vendors for the ‘Big 3’ automakers and roughly a dozen occasional customers from other industries. Now with annual sales at about $8 million, the company employed only ten machinists, with a white-collar staff down to three — Claussen, his secretary, and one engineer. The accounting / bookkeeping function, including payroll, was contracted out. The customer base had shifted to two regular and an average of ten ‘walk-in’ customers. Many machine tools sat idle, and no investment in modernization had been made for over a decade.
         Wow! Timmons went all out. Lars thought as the waiter served the appetizer of sweet yellow onion petals.
         Small talk during lunch was mostly about the plight of manufacturing in Allerford. Each of those at Table #4 had a story similar to that of Flywheel Machining. But the meal was good. A Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad was followed by a choice of Chicken Florentine or Pan Seared Trout. Everyone at the table managed to squeeze in a quick look at the material in the information packet while the table was cleared and dessert of ice cream, a chocolate brownie, or a slice of apple pie was served. Table talk was positive.
         Timmons called for attention. Claussen noticed the TV cameraman take up a position where he could focus on the speaker and still pan the audience. “Our Community Development Department monitors government and industry publications for possible opportunities for Allerford and our businesses,” Timmons began, “Two months ago, they spotted a joint announcement from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the U.S. Department of Labor describing a new program to help revitalize dying rust belt cities. City governments, education institutions, businesses, labor organizations, or any combination thereof, are invited to submit proposals to receive grant funding to assist in revitalizing their failing city.”
         Mayor Timmons met with Dr. Griggs Pierson from Eastwood Engineering Institute, asking him to brainstorm some ideas and take the lead in preparing a proposal. The Eastwood staff put together a strawman proposal with an outline of a cost estimate for consideration by the Mayor, City Council, and Community Development Department.
         Timmons continued. “Today, I want to share the preliminaries with you, the industrial community, seek your participation, and develop a final proposal for approval by City Council and submittal to the federal government.”
         He closed by introducing Dr. Pierson. “You all know that Eastwood Engineering Institute at Trinity University houses the technical brainpower of our city. I have asked them to be the focal point of this effort. They have agreed and assigned Dr. Griggs Pierson to be in charge and be our point of contact. With that, I will again thank you for coming and turn this meeting over to Dr. Pierson.”
         “Thank you, Mayor Timmons,” said Pierson, rising and accepting the microphone. “When Conley approached me with this idea, I was skeptical. But as I thought about the stakes for Allerford, the resources we have available, and all the possibilities afforded by this program, I went from skeptical to excited. I hope what we show you this afternoon will excite you too. Dr. Kumi Okoro, head of our Manufacturing Engineering Department, has been the imagination and energy behind our preliminary efforts so far. I have asked him to continue in that role. So, I would like to introduce him now to give you the picture of what we have sketched out and what we suggest as our direction forward. But let me emphasize that our proposal will reflect what we collectively agree upon — what we commit too, what we expect, and what we promise to deliver for the funds requested. Dr. Okoro …”
         The black man who had been seated next to Pierson stood up and headed for the lectern as a large projection screen lowered from the ceiling. There was a slight murmur through the audience. “Thank you, Dr. Pierson.”
         Kumi Okoro was immediately impressive. Tall, well over six feet, dressed fashionable but conservatively, his hair flecked with gray and a pencil mustache, gave him a commanding appearance — more like a corporate CEO that a college professor. He spoke with a deep, clear baritone voice, enhanced by his African accent.
         Many, including Claussen, grabbed for their information packet and fished out Okoro’s resume. Lars read it carefully this time. This guy really has some tickets, he thought, a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, a Master’s in Materials Science and Engineering, and a Ph.D. in Engineering and Public Policy, from Carnegie Mellon no less. Looks like about twenty years’ experience — a mixture of industry and academia. Lars refocused on the speaker.
         The house lights dimmed, the first slide came up on the screen, and Kumi Okoro gave a presentation that would change life for many here today and beyond, including his own.
         The presentation began by focusing on the roles, responsibilities, and rewards to each interest group represented in the room.
         Eastwood Engineering Institute would construct and operate a demonstration and training facility for new manufacturing technology.
         Manufacturing companies would retool their factories to produce new products and retrain their workers to operate the new machinery.
         It looks like each slide addresses a particular constituency, thought Claussen.
         Banks would provide low-interest loans to finance the retooling.
         Murmurs went up from one table, and Claussen realized that the table seating put the members of each group together. That murmur was from the table of bankers. Okoro continued.
         Labor Unions would ensure that their members attend the training and get certified in operating the new machinery.
         Murmurs from another table.
         Allerford City Council would provide tax incentives to participants.
         Allerford Community Development Department would undertake a nationwide sales campaign to bring new customers to Allerford’s manufacturing businesses, and attract new manufacturing companies that complimented existing businesses to relocate to Allerford.
         The federal government would provide grants where appropriate and insurance for the low-interest loans made by the banks.
         Okoro moved on to Part II of his presentation which outlined the timeline for the program. It would be roughly a three-year program. The first year would be devoted to planning for retooling by the participating companies, constructing the Demonstration and Training Facility, and creating training programs. The second year would be the year of retooling and retraining. The third year would see the completion of retooling and retraining, and establishment of an apprentice training program available to all young people wishing to enter the manufacturing trades.
         So far, so good. The audience was still with him, so Okoro picked up with Part III which dealt with the task immediately ahead — the preparation and submittal of the proposal, with a deadline only three months away. Each participating company would prepare their proposal for how they would rebuild their factory, attract new customers, and retrain their employees, including cost estimates. Bank proposals would show how much money they are prepared to commit, and the terms and conditions for the low-interest loans. The City’s input would describe the tax abatement program for participants and detail the sales program they would undertake on behalf of the city and its businesses. All these inputs would be brought together, given a final cost estimate, then submitted to City Council for approval and to all participants for final acceptance. The last step would be a signature page containing the signature of every participant — that signature had to be from someone having the authority to obligate the company, preferably the CEO. The finished proposal would then be sent to the designated federal government official.
         Okoro finished his presentation with an optimistic warning. “This project is doable only if we all agree to participate and pull in the same direction. Thank you for listening. Mayor Timmons, Dr. Pierson, and I will now take questions, but please remember we do not have all the answers.”
         Mayor Timmons interjected, “Please state your name and your affiliation.”
         Hands went up everywhere. Two workers from the Community Development Department were positioned about the room with microphones. The two reporters got up from their seats and located themselves to get the best possible coverage of the Q and A session.
         “How can you guarantee …?”
         “What happens if …?”
         “How much is this going to cost?”
         “What about …?”
         “How is my bank protected from …?”
         “I don’t think my workers will …”
         Lars listened with misgivings. They’ll only get in the lifeboat if they get a good seat. They are looking for guarantees from others while taking no responsibility themselves. This idea is not perfect, but it’s the brightest light in many years.
         Claussen got up from his seat and left the room. He walked across the lobby and into the lounge, nearly empty at this time of day.
         “Johnny Black, rocks,” he said to the idle bartender.
         He took his drink, dropped a ten-dollar bill on the bar, and surveyed the room. A comfortable chair in the far corner beckoned.
         “I need to think,” he said to himself, plopping into the overstuffed chair.
         Claussen removed the few Flywheel Machining business cards he carried in his wallet and looked at them fondly. The card had evolved over time, reflecting the growth and success of the company, along with the changing fashions of the business world. How many of these cards have I passed out over the years? … and how about Dad and Grandpa? The card had always been of simple design. ‘Send your message in the simplest possible way — no frills,’ grandpa had always said.
         That had been the guiding theme of the company, and their business card, since the company began. The company logo was a representation of a micrometer holding a gear. The micrometer signifying precision and the gear indicating a complex mechanical part. “We do complex things with precision,” Lars repeated the company tag line to himself.
         Printed in a modern font, the company name counterbalanced the logo. Across the bottom, in small letters of the same font, was the address and phone number. Forest Green on White had always been the company colors. Grandpa had said something about it being the colors on the family crest in the old country.
         This logo in these colors was used on everything representing the company — business cards, stationery, shipping labels, advertisements, bank checks, even the sign on the building.
         Lars Claussen had inherited ownership of his company from his father, making him the third generation to head Flywheel Machining. He presided over the last ten years of decline desperately and unsuccessfully seeking a way to reverse the company’s fall. He had never thought of his dilemma as part of a bigger situation. Yet today, he had witnessed a possible path out for him and others like him.
         Sure, there are risks. Nothing worth doing is risk-free. I know Dad and Grandpa took risks in their time to build the company. They never talked about it, but I know from reading the company history that they laid it all on the line more than once. They left it my hands to continue. Guys like Honza Kovar, Brodey Campbell, and Fabien Trabue have given their whole life to Flywheel, as have their fathers before them. They have as much invested in Flywheel as I do. What right do I have to quit? None!
         Claussen knocked back the rest of his drink, stood up, and went back into the dining room.
         The crowd had thinned, but Timmons, Pierson, and Okoro were still there talking with a small group. The reporters and cameraman had left; the hotel staff was busy resetting the room for the evening event.
         Lars worked his way into the group. After a minute, Mayor Timmons recognized him and extended his hand with a big politician smile. “Lars Claussen, so glad you were able to come today.” Timmons did not know Claussen but had thoroughly mastered the art of quickly reading name tags, then acting as if they had been buddies for years.
         “Mayor Timmons,” Lars began, handing Timmons a Flywheel business card, “I have been watching my company fail for the last several years, with no clue how to stop it. This presentation today has given me hope that we have a future. Thank you. Sign me up. I’m in.” That brought smiles from Pierson and Okoro, as Claussen handed each of them a card.
         Pierson handed Claussen a business card and instructed him to call that person to be included in the next proposal team meeting.
         The drive back to his office was an adventure in the mind as miscellaneous, disorganized thoughts raced through his brain.
         What have I just signed up for? What will happen if we fail? How am I going to convince my workers that they have to go back to school? Will the union support this program? I need a carrot and a stick. Should I call a meeting? Do a video presentation? Oh, man, I need some time to digest all of this.
         Well, Lars, that’s why you get paid the big bucks.

         Pulling into the company parking lot, Lars smiled at the friendly green on white sign at the top of the building. It had meant ‘home’ for his entire working life. Tonight was no exception.
         “How was the luncheon?” asked Marilyn, his secretary, as Claussen entered the office.
         “You still here?”
         “I didn’t want to leave until you got back.”
         “Let’s just say it was very eventful. I’ll fill you in Monday morning. Thanks for waiting. Now go home.”
###

Word Count: 2,880
© Copyright 2020 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957648-Scene-12--Allerford-Awakens