*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/960639-Keeping-Cool
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#960639 added June 11, 2019 at 10:27pm
Restrictions: None
Keeping Cool
June 11, 2019
Prompt: An excessive heat warning has been issued for Las Vegas this week. We will be having triple digit temperatures. How do you keep cool in triple digit temperatures?



         Growing up, we had no air conditioning. We did have fans, and learned to shout above the noise of them. As kids, we like to sing or just make vocal sounds in front of the fans to hear how it changed our voices. With our small house, it was not too hard to set up cross ventilation with a fan inside the front screen door and one at the back or one in a side window at night. I remember not being able to sleep at night for the heat. We seldom get over 99 degrees, but on a few rare days each summer we will go over 100, maybe 103, with the heat index higher. Only on rare years will it last long. But we have very high humidity, even in the 70's and 80's, I've experienced 100 in April, but usually not until late May or June. We've even had some unbearably hot Halloweens and warm Thanksgivings, but those are standouts.

         Camping in the summer heat is just miserable, unless you're under a tree near running water. That will be a little cooler at night, but for the most part, tents are sweat machines.

         So, I sympathize with those who have to endure a crushing heat wave. since I first went to work at age 16, I've spent a good deal of time indoors in the summer with air conditioning. Unfortunately, some of those places wouldn't keep those places cool enough for employees who were doing physical work or wearing uniform jackets or smocks. But now I'm retired and don't worry about sweating on the job.

         I'm not a swimmer, so I don't spend a hot day at the pool. I burn easily, so I no longer just sweat it out at the beach. Instead, I cover myself with mosquito spray and sit in the shade, preferably with a breeze. A tall glass of iced tea ( a thermal cup keeps the ice a long time) helps me pamper myself. When we're in a long hot spell, I'd like to keep the house super cool, but than we worry about a big electric bill from non-stop running of the AC. We also use several dehumidifiers, which have to be emptied 2 or 3 times a day. They don't cool, but they take that stickiness out of the air. My 91 year old father will sit in the garage, door up, revealing to all the passersby that he is a hoarder. He sits in the shade with a fan blowing in his direction, enjoying the fresh air while he snoozes.

         Parades and fairs and other outdoor events are another story. You just have to bite the bullet and sweat. I see a lot of kids at those things who should have on sunscreen. I hate seeing a three year old or younger with a sunburn. You have to plan in advance. I wore sandals to a parade in April once, and the tops of feet were sunburned! I visited Atlanta in June, and walked around with my toes covered. The tops of feet were burned once again. Hats make your head sweat, and I don't look good in them, but I'm learning a UV treated hat is helpful. Always wear sunglasses even if your nose and temples sweat from touching the frames. Old people, like my dad, and people with breathing problems need frequent breaks in the shade. Take water bottles for everyone in your crowd.

         If you really want to keep cool, and want to be outside, you just have to act like you're afraid of sunshine. Then make up your mind that it's okay to sweat profusely, that the makeup with the SPF protects your face even if it's melting and making you look funny, that nobody looks good in extreme heat so don't worry about it. Giving up stress and worry is one way of staying cool.
*UmbrellaO* *Fire*

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/960639-Keeping-Cool