*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/961487-Born-on-D-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#961487 added June 24, 2019 at 11:29pm
Restrictions: None
Born on D-Day
         I was born on D-Day, so I've always recalled it and many stories about it. It was a great day in history (not my year, but in 1944), Never before had so many countries worked together to accomplish a common goal, and never since. It was a great masterwork of military minds, diplomats, and passionate statesmen.

         I learned early on that my birth flower was the rose, and the gemstone was a pearl. I've always loved the aroma of roses. Long ago, you could find perfumes that smelled like roses. Potpourri sometimes had rose petals. Once I even found a line of candles that smelled of roses. They must be out of favor, because I can't find any rose fragrances now. And I don't think I should buy roses for myself. I've tried growing them without much luck.

         As for pearls, I have a few necklaces of various kinds of pearls and arrangements. My ears are allergic to even gold, so no earrings. When I was sixteen I went shopping with my grandmother for a birthday present. We went to the jewelry store where I discovered that in the affordable birthstone line, June was listed as alexandrite. So I wound up with a ten carat gold ring with a nice purple stone. I still have it, and although my knuckles are larger, I can still wear it. When I got home, my mother told me how tight my grandmother's budget was and that this was a genuine sacrifice for her. I now have some rings that cost more, but this one will always be precious to me.

         I don't know much about moonstone. That's a June stone on some lists. Honeysuckle is also listed as the birth flower. It's a sweet flower that grows wild. It is sometimes blended with other flowers for perfumes. If you ever picked a blossom and sucked it, you know why the cows like to eat it. Pluck a blossom, tear off the stem tip, and suck. You only get a drop, but it's like sugar water. The cow eats all she can find to munch. Every kid should try for herself to see why the birds and the bees like it.


Prompt: use pearl, rose, honeysuckle, alexandrite, and moonstone in a blog. It's my month, so it seemed like my assignment.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/961487-Born-on-D-Day