*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
14
21
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/963275-Quotes
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#963275 added July 27, 2019 at 1:19pm
Restrictions: None
Quotes
Prompt: What are your favorite quotes?

-----------

I love quotes, but for the sake of space and time, I can’t list every single one I like. Thus, with the exception of the first four, every quote here is from a book I’ve read.


This too shall pass.

Don’t trouble trouble, till trouble troubles you.

“Know thyself”
attributed to t Socrates and inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi.

“You have the right to work, but never to the fruit of work. You should never engage in action for the sake of reward, nor should you long for inaction.”
Bhagavad-Gita

“Our greatest freedom is the freedom to choose our attitude.” Victor Frankl

“Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation.”
Victor Frankl

“In some ways suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.”
Viktor E. Frankl

“What is to give light must endure burning.”
Victor Frankl

When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'
Sydney Harris

“You are your fate. Character is destiny.”
James Allen

“Circumstances don’t shape us, so much as they reveal us.”
James Allen

“Law, not confusion, rules the universe. Justice, not injustice, is its guiding principle. You attract what you are. You get what you give.”
James Allen

“The distinction between “something you know”, “something you are” and “something you have” is much more blurred than it seems on first analysis.”
Richard Paul Hudson

“Don't wish it were easier; wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems; wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges; wish for more wisdom.”
Jim Rohn

“Don’t look for the street sign until you’re in the right town.”
Randy McIntire

“It’s not the bird that’s pretty, it’s the feathers.”
Randy McIntire

“By bringing out the best in others we bring out the best in ourselves.”
Randy McIntire

“Try to move from a feeling of “HAVE TO” to “GET TO.” With HAVE TO, you are a victim of the circumstance. With the GET TO, you are in control. Replace "have to" in your thoughts and speech, with "get to.”
Randy McIntire

“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake.”
Marie Beyon Ray

“Classic transference happens when you unconsciously redirect feelings or desires created in your childhood or by life experiences to another person or object.”
Joseph Murphy

“Fear is a negative thought in your mind. Supplant it with a constructive thought.”
Joseph Murphy

“Not that paying intense attention itself is cheap. And maybe this is why we so often do our best to avoid it.”
Peter Orner

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
Ernest Hemingway

“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
Ernest Hemingway

“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.”
Sigmund Freud

“Don’t try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It’s the one and only thing you have to offer.”
Barbara Kingsolver

“The trouble when people stop believing in God is not that they thereafter believe in nothing; it is that they thereafter believe in anything. In this century, 'anything' has included Hitler, Stalin and Mao, authors of the great genocidal madnesses of our time.”
Charles Krauthammer

“Politics is the moat, the walls, beyond which lie the barbarians. Fail to keep them at bay, and everything burns.”
Charles Krauthammer

“You can have the most advanced and efflorescent cultures. Get your politics wrong, however, and everything stands to be swept away. This is not ancient history. This is Germany 1933.”
Charles Krauthammer

“Within stories is the healing and no evil can stand up to it.”
Natalie Goldberg

“Generating your own writing subjects is a true sign that you are becoming your own writer.”
Natalie Goldberg

“Writing is elemental. Once you have tasted its essential life, you cannot turn from it without some deep denial and depression. It would be like turning from water. Water is in your blood. You can’t go without it.”
Natalie Goldberg

============

After I wrote this entry, I saw this quote: "Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you." https://tinybuddha.com
For some reason, I like that one, too. It is going into my collection. *Smile*

© Copyright 2019 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/963275-Quotes