*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965620
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2199873
This is a legacy first edition self-published Nov 2011. I was only 15 years old back then.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#965620 added September 5, 2019 at 6:39am
Restrictions: None
Bided separation. (XXI - End)
Bided separation. (XXI)

The moment the Valblades arrived within the gates of Seleran, the people immediately cleared way to allow the soldiers through, seeming to have respect and fear for the powerful force of men. As the soldiers walked through the large city, a small gathering of people started to form, staring at both Korvi and Shaol while their cages were being carried, murmuring and finger pointing started amongst the crowd, for most of them have never before seen any dragon so close, especially young ones. Some of the people started to laugh as they saw Korvi, noticing her azure symbols with the light tinted glow. One person from within the crowd called out,

“Oh look it’s a red-blue mixed dragon!”

That comment being said only stirred up more laughter, causing Korvi to lower her head; not understanding what the insult meant though knew that it was about her that they thought so funny. When the Valblades reached the auctioning trade section in the market district, located in the far west end of the city, both the cages were sat down and placed firmly atop the center of a wooden squared platform. Korvi was whimpering, feeling fear seeing all these humans as well as being in such a large, new place. Shaol himself was scared, even trembling, though his own fear prevented any tears from showing. After the cages were placed and firmly secured, Korvi started to hear Jarshal speaking with the main auctioneer, a thin, brown haired man named Gelant. They were talking silently to each other, looking in expressions of slight dispute, and although Korvi couldn’t hear much anything of their words, she did catch a few words to assume they were talking about her and Shaol.

“Whaats going tos happen tos us Shaol?”

Korvi asked as she turned her gaze to Shaol.

“I do not--”

Shaol didn’t get to finish his sentence as he was cut off suddenly; a soldier opened his cage while holding a thin, firm chain in his hands.

“Come’er ya red beast, time to come out!”

The man sneered as he tried to wrap the chain around his neck, giving effort to make it tighten around him like a collar. Shaol panicked and squirmed, resisting fiercely as three additional soldiers rushed forward to support the struggling soldier.

“Sha… Shaaol!!”

Korvi squeaked out with alarm, as two soldiers approached her cage, opening the locked iron door, having cold looks on their face.

“Your turn, runt.”

One soldier spoke as he attached the chain around her neck, getting a firm lock around her neck. A massive spike of fear shivered down Korvi’s spine, as she knew that resisting against the soldiers would do nothing but cause more troubles and harm. Shaol still resisted with all his might, the ankle chains holding Shaol in the cage rattled loud, clanking against the cage as the four soldiers wrestled with Shaol, trying to secure the chain lock on her.

***

A rather muscular and fit man amongst the crowd was watching the Valblade soldiers struggle with Shaol, rubbing his short beard in thought, mumbling to himself.

“Hrm… Quite the good fighter that one is… to take on four of the Valblades! Trained soldiers strugglin’ against such a young dragon… now if only that could be harnessed…”


***

With the chain secured around Korvi’s neck, the soldier not holding the chains leaned into the cage, to unlatch the ankle clasps around Korvi’s hind legs. Korvi didn’t resist the soldier when he tugged to bring her out, she willingly followed out, for she knew inside that she couldn’t do anything, for she was in their grasps and out numbed while being young, so the first knowledge of instinct inside told her to not resist her captors. It has taken some time and effort, though the Valblades triumphed over Shaol, getting the chain locked firm around his neck, the ankle chains were unlatched as the four soldiers attempted with effort to drag him out.

“LET GOOO OF MEEE!!”

Shaol growled out while thrashing his neck and body, his heart was racing and pounded inside as he panicked.

“SHAAOL! Calms downs pwease! Nuuu goods tos fwight… pwease… nuu want Shaaol hurts…”

Korvi spoke with a feared tone, being panicked herself though kept mostly calm, azure eyes looking to Shaol with a pleading expression to her friend. Even though with a panicked mind, Shaol heard Korvi’s words, turning his head to see Korvi, slightly relaxing his tensed body, mumbling out in response,

“O…okaay Korvi…”

Shaol then dropped his resistance, for as much as he hid it inside; he knew it was hopeless to fight back, holding fear inside as he was scared of being handled. Once both Korvi and Shaol were taken out of the cages, the worn iron cages were taken away to be disposed, while both young were kept in the middle of the wooden platform, thick copper nails were pegged through the steel chains into the wood floor to keep both the dragons firm held, having enough slack of chain to stand up at most, though was unable to move around. Once secured, the soldiers backed away, the crowd in front of the stage grew large, for the people’s curiosity of two young dragons being here in the city, standing upon the auctioning platform, was something new to them all. Murmuring amongst the crowd rose with the curiosity, before going quiet as Gelant took to the stand; all eyes then fell upon him, awaiting the speech he was sure to give. After looking over the crowd, Gelant waited a moment before taking a deep breath to speak loud and heard.

“Good people of Seleran city! Today we have come upon a once a life rarity! Two young, healthy female dragons of the element of fire! That’s right, two infernal gal’s here to be sold as a pair for the price of but one! Such rarity is not often seen, and this is a great show of fate, as these two be the very last of their kind! Why the last? For under King Valreth’s order, the species of the pure blooded infernal beasts have been wiped out from the face of Kelretha!”

He paused a moment, examining the crowd, hearing low murmurs amongst themselves as one person then calls out;

“And how the blazes are we to feed them? Especially when they grow to be much larger!”

Arguments started then within the crowd from agreeing with logic and to those who disagreed. Another voice, a shrill female spoke,

“I don’t want to buy some multi-colored cursed beast that glows, even if it’s just a young! That is just ridiculous!”

Such more outbursts were spoken and shouted; only some of the loudest were heard.

“And keeping them indoors is no easy either!”

Came said a man amongst the crowd. Needing to maintain order and control quickly, Gelant speaks noticeably louder to gain attention.

“Hey, hey settle now! Listen, sure it may be tricky to feed and house them as they grow but think of how worth it will be to have your very own grow rarity of a dragon! Not ever has such upon any dawn has this been done and is being down this day! Be warned though as High Commander Jarshal of the Valblades, decrees that they are to remain fully captive least tamed, for if either escapes loose they shall be killed on sight! Wouldn’t want that for two beauty young now would we?”

He takes a moment’s break to catch his breath, grinning as he notices he holds the crowd’s attention with interest, having high reputation for great marketing skills to convince the inconvincible.

“Be there any who dare to take a life time chance by bidding? Do I hear twenty silver perhaps?”

Gelant asks, starting off the bidding.

“I’ll bid twenty-five silver coins!”

A pale short haired woman called out, standing amongst the second row of people.

“I call out thirty silver coins!”

A tall broad man in the front spoke out in his bid.

“Thirty-one!”

The same woman calls out with a frustrated look and tone.

“Thirty-five silver coins.”

The man stated with a smug smirk. Korvi whimpered, all the noise from the people around was scaring her more,
unable to keep from fidgeting with her claws while keeping sat still. Gelant looked to the man and woman raising the bid, hoping that they would get angered with each other enough to raise the bid to hopefully fifty silver coins.

“Five gold coins, for only the pure red one without markings.”

Spoke Maruk, as he stepped up from the crowd.

The people around gasped with shock as they heard Maruk, even Gelant looked stunned, for five gold was also a value of five hundred silver.

“A…arena master Maruk..!”

Gelant stuttered for a moment as he regains his posture, clearing his throat before speaking out trying to be persuasive,

“W...with that much you easily can buyout the two young dragons!”

Maruk frowned, looking to Gelant with a firm expression.

“I spoke I want just the red one ‘ere. Not the mixed blue one.”

Gelant had a nervous expression, for High Commander Jarshal wished for both to be sold together, and yet here was the Arena master of the Brutalalis Arena, wanting to buyout just Shaol. Trying to put that known, Gelant speaks hesitantly,

“With all due respect Maruk, they are to be sold together, not separate.”

Maruk now had an annoyed look, a hardening glare to Gelant that made him feel at unease.

“I cannot afford the feeding or space for having both, it would cost too much. Nor do I have time to have two dragons tamed and whipped into shape. So I will ask you a final time, Gelant, will you accept five gold for just the red one? Or would you rather go back to auctioning both off for less than fifty silver coins?”

Gelant bit his lip… gazing from Maruk to the crowd, noticing that the first man and woman to bid has already left as they knew they were outbid, also with more than half the crowd has left having no more interest nor could they outbid on five gold coins. He himself didn’t feel like staying here all Star-fall with both the dragons…

“Argh blast your heart Maruk… it’s a deal.”

Gelant gave in as Maruk grinned wide, stepping forward to hand him the five steel coins before saying out with a sneered remark of humor,

“Also, consisting they are dragons, and that I have paid quite the value for the one… Wouldn’t that be worth also safe delivery by two or perhaps four Valblade soldiers to escort my new dragon? I wouldn’t want to get harmed during travelling.”

Maruk spoke, mainly looking and speaking in Jarshal’s direction. Jarshal gave a venomous glare to Maruk,
though nods the approval as then three soldiers at random stepped out of rank.

“You three, go unbind the pure red one from the platform, prepare her for transport.”

Commanded Jarshal sourly as the three men saluted, obeying their leader. Korvi felt her heart lurch for a moment,
as it didn’t take much for her to realize they were soon to be separated. Shaol even understood what was happening and that it was him that was going to be taken, looking to Korvi then speaks in a sad yet firm held tone,

“Korvii better stway strong or else! I promise to stway strong so you do too!! No matter what we be back together someday! I love you Korvii!”

Shaol had a single tear drop off his snout as the soldiers uplifted the peg holding down Shaol’s chain. Korvi for a moment felt her heart pound as if beating endlessly on massive brass gongs; she just couldn’t lose Shaol... Not now… Not after all they have been through… Korvi felt a sudden surge of anger rise high within her body as she sees the first soldier in front of her whose hand was ungloved and exposed, close by as he has uplifted Shaol’s peg. Even though it was a matter of seconds, time seemed to slow down for Korvi, as she acted on emotion and instinctive aggression, not with thought because the Valblade soldiers have taken too much away, and taking away Shaol was the final tick on Korvi.

“Shaaol MINEEES! NUUU TAKES!!”

She roared as best as she could squeak, lunging at the soldier’s hand before then biting down hard as she possibly could, thrashing her head side to side, tugging and tearing as if the hand was a deer. Her small sharp teeth proved true as the soldier’s flesh was easily penetrated, and as she tugged, the first two fingers along with the top palm of his hand was ripped off with ease.

“Graah..!!! Damn bloody bitch..! My hand!”

The soldier cried and cursed out at Korvi with pained anger, his blood drizzled down upon the ground. The two other soldiers looked astonished and dumbfounded for a moment, while the pained soldier in his anger, he strikes out at Korvi with his good hand, bashing Korvi with his full strength to the side of her face. The impact was sudden and hard, focused reality hazed for Korvi as she was hit, causing her to fall back down with a squeaked sobbing whimper, as she then curled up to herself. As Korvi fell, a cold anger washed through Shaol as he saw his best and truest friend harmed, despite just being a yearling of one cycle, he felt instinctively protective for his beloved friend.

“NO HURT KORRVII!!”

Shaol growled out with a fierce anger in his young tone before he lunged at the soldier who hit Korvi, for with his chain unpegged, it allowed him to leap. The soldier didn’t have any chance to react with a yearling that was up to his waist in size, leaping at him with its full force, falling down roughly on his back,
the wind getting knocked out of his lungs as Shaol was atop him, his weight was making it difficult to breath.

“G…get off… me you…dammed...”

The soldier didn’t get the time to complete his sentence as he looked at Shaol atop him, fear in his brown eyes as Shaol without a second thought lashed out with his sharp small claws of his right paw to his face. His claws cut through the soldier’s skin with ease, rending a large gaping wound across the soldier’s nose to under his left eye. The man screamed with pained agony though it was cut short as Shaol did what most young would do to a live fawn for feeding, he snapped her maw tight and hard over the soldier’s throat, then started thrashing his neck, tearing the flesh. Shaol didn’t let go as he gurgled, unable to scream for he had a tight grip on his very jugular and wind pipe, even with the human’s blood dripping into his maw, she did not release his relentless grip. Within a few seconds of the thrashing, the soldier’s throat muscles gave in, as his throat was ripped out. Blood splattered along Shaol’s maw, as he released the flesh from her mouth, the soldier was already long dead now. The two Valblades near Shaol, along with the first row of soldiers in rank, all drew their swords, while the second soldier near, raised his sword and slashed out at Shaol in response to the aggression. With three long, quick stride steps, Jarshal underhand drew his broadsword and with quick reflexes, intercepted the soldier’s slashing swing.

“ENOUGH! Cease your attacks and sheath your swords! All of you!”

Jarshal growled out as he gritted his teeth from the strain of intercepting the soldiers blade, the clashing sound of metal striking metal rang out on impact.

“C…commander..! He killed one of our men!”

The soldier objected though he did lower his blade and sheathed it. Slowly Jarshal sheathed his own sword before firmly looking to the soldier.

“You are not to strike! That’s an order!”

The soldier stared at Jarshal with shocked disbelief.

“Who are ye anymore commander? Valuing these beasts over your own men, who’d give their life and die gladly for you. What happened to the great leading High-Commander I sometimes wonder…?”

The soldier remarked to Jarshal as he turned back to aid handling Shaol into a new cage just brought that was set near. Jarshal cringed for a moment as he heard the words; it was like direct blows to his core. Did he really change that much since capturing the two young dragons? Shrugging off the words, Jarshal walked up to Maruk.

“What can I do for ya High-Commander?”

Maruk asked as Jarshal stood before him.

“First, let me make something clear, the dragon you bought, I want you to remember that his name is Shaol, and I expect it to remain such.”

Maruk blinked, repeating out,

“Sha-ol?”

“Shay-ole.”

Jarshal corrected him in pronouncing it correctly.

“Ah I see! Shaol it is then! Sounds fine and mighty! The crowds will just love it; yes I can feel it in my bones!”

Maruk spoke with a heartily chuckle. Jarshal scowled lightly, not liking the arena ways of death matches, how could it be so enjoying? He didn’t know nor wanted to find out. He then after saying what he had to, he turned his back to return where he was standing near his men.

“Alright, my delivery soldiers let us be off! We can’t be here all Star-fall now!”

Maruk grinned as he teased the two soldiers, hearing them grumble and curse under their breath, already knowing they will regret having to travel with this man and hold everything in to not strike him down, obeying as they lifted Shaol’s cage. Shaol looked down at Korvi a final time… the separation being inevitable… He mumbled softly though firm so Korvi heard;

“Stway… strong… Korvii… Promise! Don’t forgets!”

Korvi’s eyes started to water, feeling the pain of deep loss once more on her heart… stuck to the stage while the two soldiers with Maruk carried Shaol’s cage to a nearby wagon.

“Sha… Shaaol…”

Korvi squeaked out in a choked sob, unable to do anything as she watched the wagon slowly being pulled away on wooden wheels, led by Maruk’s old worn horse. Tears of cold hurt and pain streamed from Korvi’s azure blue eyes, such pained sorrow in her expression, her tears even had a tint of azure to it, she felt as if her heart was slashed open and gutted out, for that is what such deep emotional pain felt like to her, crying out loud and long as the wagon carrying her lifelong truest friend went out of sight.

“SHAAAAOOOOOLLL……!”



END - To be continued in Sacrifice for Freedom (2012 edition unfinished as-is).
© Copyright 2019 Shaolth (UN: shaolth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaolth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965620