*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970103-My-Own-Black-Friday-Plans
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#970103 added November 22, 2019 at 3:35pm
Restrictions: None
My Own Black Friday Plans
Black Friday. Are you going out to shop, or are you staying at home with a good book and plate full of left-overs?

         When I was much younger and still full of vinegar, I loved going out at the break of dawn for door busters or being one of the first 100 customers at J C Penney for a free ornament. I loved the crowds and the bargains. I had high hopes of finding presents that would elicit oohs and awes and jaw dropping when opened. I would shop until I couldn't carry any more packages, go to the car, where some motorist would get mad because they waited for my spot, not knowing I was returning to the mall. I've been sworn at big time on Black Friday.

         Time has taught me that no matter how much I like a gift, it never really excites the receiver the way I wished. We buy ourselves what we want all year, so it's hard to get the "perfect" gift for Christmas or other holiday. And children lose interest a few days later. Never mind that the gift might have cost you a day's wages. Or the parents put it up and never let the child play with it (noise, parts, whatever). I'm never overjoyed with the gifts I receive either. I don't feel like much thought goes into the packages I open. Apparently the others feel the obligation, not the desire to surprise or to please. Maybe we should eliminate gift giving, but that's another topic for another day.

         The other problem with Black Friday, or all Christmas shopping, is that I find more things I want for myself! I am overwhelmed with all the wonderful things I want to buy myself. I don't generally shop a lot, so being forced out to shop for others is like sending a kid to the candy store. I want everything. I can't stay mission focused. And I'm lured by all the advertising, like the four year old who points to every TV ad and says, "I want that." It's funny because he's cute, and they're just toys. But I'm like that with air fryers, pressure cookers, and instant whatchamajigs, not to mention spiralizers and colorful knife sets.

         So, no I don't go out on Black Friday any more. I take a gander at Cyber Monday, but don't go overboard if I get anything at all. I wish I could reduce Christmas shopping in general. On Black Friday, I will be cleaning after all the guests are gone and pulling toys out from under the furniture or behind appliances. It's amazing how fast and how sneaky rug rats can be while adults are eating or talking. I will have leftovers and maybe start decorating for Christmas. Maybe.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970103-My-Own-Black-Friday-Plans