*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/971562-Negativity-vs-Positive-Talk
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#971562 added December 16, 2019 at 3:32pm
Restrictions: None
Negativity vs. Positive Talk
Prompt: “I often talk to people who say, ‘No, we have to be hopeful and to inspire each other, and we can’t tell [people] too many negative things’ . . . But, no — we have to tell it like it is. Because if there are no positive things to tell, then what should we do, should we spread false hope? We can’t do that, we have to tell the truth.” ~ Greta Thunberg

         I basically disagree with the quote. I discriminate according to my listeners. With some people, I'm straightforward and honest, no matter how bad the news. With others, it's none of their business, or they have burdens enough of their own. I don't lie to them, I just avoid the truth. If negative things involve a lot of us, then rather than dwell on them, I try to find something else to discuss, to balance things out. Maybe the situation calls for an act of kindness, not a discussion. If I go out of my way to do something nice for someone else, I don't feel the negativity so much. The worse things are, the more we need to do and say good things.

         I have cancer. I can avoid the topic, and never tell anyone what I'm facing. No one will understand my moods, or my busy schedule. I can focus on it, and make it the center of every conversation or encounter. No one will want to be around me. I can feel sorry for myself and indulge my gloom. I am volunteering at several places, playing hand bells, and singing in the church choir. I organized a family trip with 7 kids, who just made a Christmas memory to last a lifetime. I am baking cookies to take to several shut-in friends this week. I will act in a positive manner, but will respond truthfully when questioned. The truth, even when negative, does not have to defeat us or our relationships.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/971562-Negativity-vs-Positive-Talk