*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972816-PuttingChristmas-Away-for-the-Year
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#972816 added January 7, 2020 at 5:56pm
Restrictions: None
PuttingChristmas Away for the Year
         It comes so quickly, and goes ever more quickly. I hate seeing it all go away. I want to linger, holding a cup of hot tea and admiring my lighted tree in the dark. There's too much stress, and too many deadlines, before Christmas, to relax and soak it all in. I'm going to try to follow Robin McGraw's lead this year, and have it all out and ready to go up by Thanksgiving, even it's stacked in the furnace room. By Dec. 1, I want it all up and ready, so I can enjoy it, and maybe feel ready to let it go in January.

         I also use the excuse of the church calendar. Prior to Christmas, it's considered Advent. Christmas starts Dec. 25 and lasts for 12 days. Technically, the wise men arrived in Egypt, not Bethlehem, when the baby was about two. So that date is usually honored as Jan. 6, marking a separation from the angels and shepherds and journey to the Inn. So I might take down the Santa faces, but leave up the greenery, the nativity, and my really cute magi sculptures. I have two attics to use, the main one, and the one over the garage. But I'm leaving the boxes stacked for a day or two to give my back a chance to heal from trying to pick up a two year old.

         Having just spent the day, trying to pack things compactly, I realize that putting it all away is nowhere near as much fun as getting it out. I threw out some things that were old and tattered. We lose some each year any way, since my dad with his large arthritic hands has started decorating the tree. I don't complain, the memory of him trying to do it, is more valuable than the antiques he smashes.

         We stumbled across what turned out to be practical and peaceful. We have a younger generation coming in with the little ones. They have to do Santa first. Then they go the mother's house for brunch (my brother's ex-wife). She has no other family, so it is proper that they go. They show up at our house about two, and the kids are thinking presents. They don't want a full sit-down meal. Then one of them has to go home to host her in-laws who bring all the food, so she does no cooking. She just provides the space for a large family dinner. My remaining brother comes from 70 miles away with his wife and son and arrive after 12. They can stay all day. (She has no family in the state.) I convinced my father, who generally prefers to do things the way he's always done them, to just have finger foods and appetizers. He took it a step further, finally, and bought bread and deli meats and cheeses. We put out sandwich fixings and desserts, and let everyone serve him or herself. It worked! The food was ready, they could come and go as they pleased. We even let the kids eat in front of the TV.

         The best part is that I wasn't up all night baking ham or letting rolls rise. I didn't have to brine a turkey or time casseroles or heat up things. Getting to Christmas Day was much calmer and easier on me. This marks a dramatic change in our family traditions. The ones who could stay late, did so, then took tired children home to rest. We'll still have a big dinner at Easter and Thanksgiving, but we took some stress out of Christmas.

         I still hate to see it go. The beauty, the lights, the cookies, the merry faces, the excitement. But maybe I can work on ways to make that happen all year long.
t

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972816-PuttingChristmas-Away-for-the-Year