*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974524-Closing-Time
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#974524 added January 30, 2020 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
Closing Time
PROMPT January 30

Congratulations on making it to the last day of the competition! What was your favorite prompt from the last month? Did you learn anything new about your fellow competitors? What was the most rewarding aspect of participating in the competition?


I had a better time with this than usual, this month. I don't know - maybe it was the musical selections I decided to do for a theme for the month. It wasn't always easy finding an appropriate song, in terms of lyrics, mood, and a title that would work as a blog entry (something I think I managed to do every day except for the first one). Music does tend to inspire me. Whatever the reason, I enjoyed almost every prompt. Especially amusing to me was the "naughty kid" prompt ("The Thin Ice) -- not only for making me remember the icy bay, but seeing the responses of others.

Which ties in with the "Did you learn anything new" question: Yes. Yes, I did.

Seriously, though, I've very much enjoyed the interaction with other bloggers - giving and receiving comments. Much thanks to all of you -- organizers, participants, everyone who stopped by, and, most especially, the lovely, talented, benevolent, fair, and incomparable judges.

I'm not going anywhere, though -- next month is February, home of the despised V-Day and my birthday, as well as crappy weather. The month has nothing else to recommend it, so I might as well keep writing in this thing.

To close out this month of musical theme tie-ins, here's a song that is not the song you think it is. But it's much better.




Yeah we're drinking and we're dancing
But there's nothing really happening
And the place is dead as heaven on a Saturday night
And my very close companion
Gets me fumbling gets me laughing
She's a hundred but she's wearing
Something tight
And I lift my glass to the awful truth
Which you can't reveal to the ears of youth
Except to say it isn't worth a dime
And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
And it's once for the devil and once for Christ
But the boss don't like these dizzy heights
We're busted in the blinding lights
Of closing time

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974524-Closing-Time