*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975053-Chapter-1-Introduction
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2212345
a thesis for grad school.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#975053 added February 7, 2020 at 5:10pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1 Introduction
Introduction

Choosing a career can be a lifelong process, not simply a one-time decision that guides an individual’s direction. Career has been defined as “one’s progress through life or in a particular vocation,” as well as “a profession or occupation which one trains for and pursues as a lifework” (Guralink, 1980, p. 214). Calo (2005) described midlife workers’ desires to find meaning in work and life as impetus to pursue work that is generative. Career transitions may be prompted by desires to express greater authenticity of the self. Midlife career change, then, may be led by a sense of calling prompted by altruism, as well as the drive for personal satisfaction or intrinsic rewards (Ahn, Dik, & Hornback, 2017).

According to Gysbers, Heppner, and Johnston (2014), career transition may result from a drive for healthy connections. Jordan (2010), a relational-cultural theorist, asserted that growth-fostering relationships was necessary throughout our lives. Midlife career transitions may also be the result of various prompts, or disorienting dilemmas, including involuntary change of employment, change of marital status, or phase of life change (e.g., empty nest). A disorienting dilemma may open new ways for individuals to construct their identity (Hess, 2009). The disorienting dilemma may not be viewed as pleasant or unpleasant; the dilemma “should be viewed merely as the switch that turns off one realm (unconsciousness) and turns on another (consciousness)” (p. 302). Hess argued that transformative learning happens at this juncture of coming out of a period of unconsciousness.

According to Harwood (2007), individuals in midlife who seek a career change may be working to actualize their authentic self and express their spirituality and concern for community. This researcher has experienced midlife career change in pursuit of both altruism and intrinsic
rewards. Increased awareness of the need for connectedness and relationships as important contributors to career satisfaction (Gysbers et al., 2014) led to her career transition.

Problem Statement
Midlife may be a season of life change, disorienting dilemma, or crisis. Amidst the life change, a drive to find meaning in the latter half of life may lead to career change. According to Trade Schools, Colleges, and Universities (2018), 55 % of working adults in their 40s desired to change careers. Career change can also offer new opportunities for identity development (Tieger, Barron, & Tieger, 2014). Perosa and Perosa’s (1984) study showed midlife individuals who changed career scored higher on identity affiliation than individuals who persisted in their first career. Individuals who experienced midlife career change reported numerous positive perceptions that they associated to the transition: 65 % reported reduced stress, 87 % reported increased happiness, 72 % reported feeling like a new person, and 60 % felt like they were following their passion (Trade Schools, Colleges and Universities, 2018). Despite these positive perceptions, increased feelings of stress and anxiety may also occur during transition (Tieger et al., 2014). Art therapy methods, such as visual journaling, may be effective in reducing anxiety (Eaton & Tieber, 2017). It is the researcher’s belief that individuals in career transition may benefit from self-reflection on the learning experiences of the transition, such as by visual journaling.

Research Questions
This study was prompted by the researcher’s interest in the phenomena of midlife career transition. The researcher sought to study midlife career transition and its relationship to identity through theoretical grounding in relational-cultural theory, which asserts the importance of human connection, and Erikson’s psychosocial stage model of development, which proposes the
importance of generativity needs in older adulthood. This study was guided by the following questions: (a) What effect does the career transition experience have on one’s identity? (b) What aspect of identity, formation or re-creation, remains difficult, and does length of time in previous career affect the identity struggles? (c) How does one need to view oneself differently to accomplish the tasks required in the new career? and (d) How can art therapy assist individuals in their transition to a new career?

Basic Assumptions
Individuals going through life change, such as career transition, may experience anxiety regardless of the voluntary or involuntary nature of the transition (Tieger et al., 2014). Art therapy can help to reduce anxiety, increase emotional regulation, and encourage creativity and self-expression (Wadeson, 2010). Journaling has been found to be an effective method of documenting and reflecting on learning and experiences (Hayman, Wilkes, & Jackson, 2012; Horowitz, 2008; Van Horn & Freed, 2008). For example, Hayman et al. (2012) emphasized the ability of journaling to capture participants’ experiences within their context. Visual journaling incorporates imagery to enhance self-expression. Based on these findings, it was assumed that individuals going through career transition might experience anxiety and may benefit from expression of their experience.

Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this qualitative study was to examine the relationship between midlife career transition and identity. Methods of inquiry included in-depth semistructured interviews and the researcher’s visual journal. Results from this study may be used to guide future work with individuals experiencing career transition. The results will add to the body of literature on life transition as well as visual journaling.
© Copyright 2020 iluvhorses (UN: debmach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iluvhorses has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975053-Chapter-1-Introduction