*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975108
Rated: 18+ · Book · Horror/Scary · #2203800
The inhabitants of a small town find themselves in the middle of an unknown outbreak.
#975108 added December 25, 2020 at 5:48am
Restrictions: None
House party
"Linda, step away from that damned window," Danny whispered to his wife, clenching his fist on the table."Don't be stupid. They might see you!"

"There's more of them outside now," Linda replied, peeking to the street through the corner of the closed curtain. "I am counting at least seven. They are just standing there."

"Linda, I am not gonna say again!" Danny was beginning to lose his patience. "It was enough for that stupid Jefferson to make so much noise it probably attracted the whole fricking neighbourhood to our doorstep." He referred to one of their neighbours who tried to shoot his way out of the besieged house a few hours earlier. It didn't end well, and now Jefferson's half-eaten remains lay in the middle of the street serving as a warning to others.

"Leave her alone, Dan," Michael said, standing by the kitchen sink. He poured himself a glass of water. "Anyone wants one?" he asked around before emptying it.

"I need something much stronger than damned water for this shit," Danny mumbled in return. His left leg wiggled relentlessly. Danny was growing anxious and didn't bother hiding it. He looked across the large kitchen diner, now refuge to eight people, and repeated his previous question, "So what the hell are we going to do now?"

"For starters, take a chill pill, Dan," Ian Fosters, one of the neighbours, said in a quiet but assertive tone. "You are making too much noise with your constant yapping, and frankly speaking, I am getting quite tired of it."

"Oh yeah?" Danny slowly stood up, eyes locked on Ian. "And how is that any of your business, big man, huh?"

"Calm down, both of you," Dean Jackman's voice echoed across the room as the man in his sixties slowly stood up from his chair. He threw an angry look at both men. "That would be a good start."

Michael nodded to Dean as a sign of thanks for stepping in. He respected the old man living just a few houses down the road, and so did everybody else. Without another word, Ian and Danny backed off into their respective corners, still throwing angry glances at each other.

"Linda, please, join us." Michael's wife, Emily, turned to Linda offering an empty chair next to her.

"They're just standing there. Why are they not going anywhere? What are we going to do now?" Linda finally complied and left the curtain alone. She was sharing her husband's anxiety. All of them did. With hands crossed on the chest, she fell into the chair.

"We'll figure something out, Linda," Michael replied as calm as he could. Their options were limited. Being trapped inside the house, surrounded by a mob of crazies, low on supplies, and barely armed, didn't inspire much confidence in the future. After the violence broke out in the area, his and Emily's home unexpectedly became a refuge to their fleeing neighbours. Michael was happy to help, but the stress and pressure were taking their toll, and he was beginning to wonder how much longer his cool would last.

"Yep, blasting our way out of here is not gonna happen," Danny said with sarcasm, referring to Jefferson's attempt.

"Nope, it won't." Michael nodded and rechecked his revolver. "Six rounds," he counted and looked at Bradley and Marsha Shaws sitting on the couch across the room. Bradley had a shotgun resting on his knees and replied without hearing a question, "Ten shells, Michael."

"That ain't much now, isn't it?" Danny shook his head.

"You heard the Sherriff on the radio," Linda whispered. "Everyone should get to the hospital if they can."

"With those creatures outside and in the darkness?" Danny starred at his wife as if she's gone mad.

"And how long do you think will we last in here, Danny?" Linda hissed back at him, stood up and marched back to the window.

"Given the circumstances, I think we should all stay put and wait for help to arrive," Michael said, looking at others. "We have enough food and water for a few days. If we keep quiet and don't kill each other first."

Approving murmurs rustled through the room when suddenly multiple gunshots echoed outside, followed by muffled screams. Michael, Danny, and Emily instinctively jumped and rushed to the window. Linda was already there and peeked out, opening the curtain more than she should have.

"It's Prestons!" she whispered, looking through the gap. "They are trying to run!"

"Keep it closed, you stupid woman!" Danny yelled and pulled the curtain back, leaving just a small gap, wide enough to see what was happening outside. He saw one of their neighbours, husband, wife and a teenage son running through the street, chased by a dozen ghouls. Peter Preston aimed his handgun at the closest attacker and fired, punching the hole in the man's chest. The ghoul just briefly staggered before his clutches reached Peter. The impact sent both rolling on the pavement in front of his screaming wife and sobbing son. Peter, cursing and muttering yelled them to run as more ghouls closed the distance. In mere seconds he was overwhelmed. Few creatures grabbed his wife and also dragged her down, biting and scratching all over.

"Run, Simon!" boy's mother screamed before one of the monsters ripped out her throat and eagerly shoved it in its mouth. The shocked kid complied and dashed straight towards Michael's and Emily's bungalow, where he noticed Danny just before he closed the curtain. The mob, too preoccupied with the feast devouring his parents, ignored Simon for a moment, long enough for him to reach the bungalow porch across the street.

"Let me in!" Simon yelled, smashing his fists against the door. "I saw you! Please, let me in!" he screamed in panic, finally drawing the attention to himself. Several attackers stood up and rushed after him. The door suddenly opened and someone's hand dragged Simon inside, closing the door just before the first ghoul slammed against it.

"What the hell are you doing?" Danny yelled at his wife as she pushed Simon into the kitchen and rapidly closed the door. Seconds later, fists started to bang against it with growing intensity.

"He's a child, you heartless imbecile"! Linda burst at her husband, pushing him away. "He just lost his parents!"

"And now they are onto us, you stupid bitch!" Danny shouted, forgoing any cautiousness. It was pointless now as the racket outside grew ever louder with more ghouls joining the free dinner invitation.

"We have to leave now!" Michael yelled and grabbed Emily's hand. "Quickly, through the backyard!" He didn't have to repeat as everybody was already on their feet. The door wouldn't last, and it was just a matter of minutes before the creatures would get inside.

The sound of breaking glass echoed throughout the room. Sharp shards ripped through the curtains covering the kitchen window. The entrance door held, but as the horde outside increased, ghouls spread along the house's wall to the kitchen window facing the street. The thin glass did little to stop them.

"Hurry up!" Michael pushed his wife towards the double-sided glass door leading to the backyard as the first creature clambered through the broken window. The man wearing a delivery uniform sliced his arms, legs, and face on the sharp fragments, but it didn't bother him. Snarling and groaning, he dropped to the floor but within seconds was back on his feet, eyes locked on the people.

Without ushering a word, Bradley stepped forward, raised his shotgun and fired at the delivery guy. The loud bang ripped through the room like thunder as the shell connected with the neck of the ghoul shattering it to pieces and repainting the wall and curtains behind him in dark red. The delivery man collapsed to the floor.

"Run to the far side and jump over the fence!" Michael shouted. He pointed to the compost bin on the far side of their garden. "Right over there! We will hold them back!"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Emily stopped in her tracks and stared at her husband.

"Emily, don't argue, just run. I will be right behind you," Michael said as calm as he could.

The second ghoul climbed over the window and immediately charged with more creatures in tow. Bradley raised his shotgun again, aimed and pulled the trigger. The ghoul dropped to his knees in the middle of the room, his headless body falling to the floor.

Along with sobbing Simon and Ian, Danny and Linda were already halfway across the green patch when the front door finally gave in and burst open. Shrieks and snarls of the monsters pouring into the house were deafening. The creatures elbowed and shoved their way towards the prey. Others crawled through the broken window, falling on top of each other, trampling the ones below.

"Marsha, run!" Bradley ordered his wife. She was still standing behind him, hesitant to leave. He fired again, this time hitting a snarling woman galloping towards him to her chest. The woman screeched as the impact force pushed her back into the crowd behind, granting Bradley a precious second to reload.

"For the love of God, run!" Michael yelled at his wife and pushed her towards the door. He had barely time to raise his revolver and pull the trigger. The bullet pierced the skull of a man in a torn fancy suit almost within his reach. The man tumbled to the floor just inches away. "Just do as I say!"

"Emily, please listen to him." Dean Jackman took her by the hand and dragged out of the house. Though hesitant, she finally complied.

Michael was grateful to the old man once again but had no time to express his gratitude. He aimed at the next inbound monster and fired.

"I am not leaving you!" Marsha yelled, defying her husband's orders.

"Stubborn as always!" He had no time to argue, raised his weapon and pulled the trigger, sending another one down.

Within seconds the room filled with screaming ghouls. The young man in a bloodied t-shirt rushed forward and sank his teeth into Bradley's right shoulder.

"Ah, you piece of shit!" Bradley howled and shoved the attacker back. He hit the man in the head with the stock of his shotgun, shattering his jaw.

"We have to go!" Michael yelled, sending two more rounds into the nearest intruders, but more were pouring in. The house was overrun.

Another creature rammed into Bradley and pushed him against the wall next to the backyard door. The snarling ghoul was about to rip into Bradley's throat when his neck met with a chair's bulky frame. Marsha stepped in to help her husband.

"Leave him, you monster!" she screamed, raising the chair again.

"Both of you go!" Bradley yelled. With his free hand, he grabbed Marsha by the shoulder and pushed her into the backyard. Mustering all of his strength, he then stepped towards Michael and also shoved him outside. "Get her out of here!" Bradley whispered before closing the door.

"No! Bradley!" Marsha stood up and rushed back to the house. "You selfish bastard! Don't leave me!"

"He's gone, Marsha!" Michael accepted the inevitable and pulled her away towards the compost bin. "There's nothing we can do!" We have to run!" He firmly held crying old lady as they ran across the freshly cut grass away from the house and screams of Bradley being torn apart by the mindless mob.

To be continued
© Copyright 2020 K.Kacinskas (UN: klemensas77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
K.Kacinskas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975108