*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975328-February-12-2020--Happy-Birthday-Mr-Lincoln
by Tinker
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2206515
BiMonthly blog challenge accepted with an occasional jaunt to the Banana Bar Challenge.
#975328 added February 12, 2020 at 11:23am
Restrictions: None
February 12, 2020 Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln
5 DAY TRUTH or FICTION BLOGGING CHALLENGE
Blog Prompt for Day 3 -


So what did you do with the money Mr.Lincoln? Today is the birthday of our 14th president Abraham Lincoln. We all know him as the tall simple man who became the emancipator of the slaves. His humble beginnings exposed a man familiar with hard labor, working to earn a living.

But did you know that after he became a lawyer he was also a money lender? Or as president, he opened the doors to homeownership for the poor through the land grant act?

Also during his presidency, he was responsible for issuing federal paper money for the first time. Before that, the government only issued gold and silver coins. Some paper money had been issued by private banks, but the first federal paper dollars were printed because of the Legal Tender Act. The money was printed with green ink on the back, hence the term “greenback”. So what did he do with this money he printed? He paid his soldiers with it. His face is now displayed on the $5.00 bill.

Known for his humor, Honest Abe once said, “There are two times in a man’s life when he should not speculate: when he can’t afford it, and when he can.”

Happy Birthday Mr President.

Conceived in Liberty*

Abe Lincoln,
our Fourteenth
President.

A tall man
standing for
equal rights.

Gave nation
"a new birth
of freedom."*
          ~~jvg

Notes:

© Copyright 2020 Tinker (UN: tinker1111 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tinker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975328-February-12-2020--Happy-Birthday-Mr-Lincoln