*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977616
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#977616 added April 20, 2024 at 7:31pm
Restrictions: None
Judge Not
The words that Jesus spoke about judging, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged" that are found in Matthew 7, are considered by many to be the most misunderstood words in the Bible. The problem is that people, believers and non-believers alike, tend to take just those first few words out of context and throw them around like some kind of holier-than-thou weapon of condemnation for those opposed to their own actions. Think about the irony of it: by telling others not to judge you, aren't you in fact judging them?

The word actually means to condemn, which is part of the judging process but there is a big leap from the act of judging to that of condemning. As a matter of fact, the Bible is full of expressions where we are told to judge. Jesus tells us to "... judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24), "... you will recognize them by their fruit (Matthew 7:16), and "... If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private" (Matthew 18:15).

We even see this if we read the verse about judging in it's full context. At the very end, Jesus says, "... then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." The emphasis is not on refraining from judging, but judging without hypocrisy. Else how will you be able to help your brother or sister?

For the most part, many of us are so filled with wrongdoing that it's impossible for us to condemn others at all. I know that I'm prideful and rebellious at times, filled with jealousy and anger at others. I know I could never condemn someone else on those because I have so many planks in my eye. Yet, there are things I am able to see in others that I could help them with, not in condemnation, but through simple judgement.

How can we possibly go through life without judging? Obviously, you need to make some form of informed judgment about different things in life, but the key is not taking that a step further into condemnation. We can judge without condemning. We need to judge when we decide what church to attend, what restaurant to eat at, what person to spend the rest of your life with, who should be your Representative in Congress or President. How can we determine who needs to hear the Word of God without judging?

Its not about judging, it's about hypocrisy and refraining from condemnation while doing so.


Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what [b]judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
– Matthew 7:1-5


Keywords: Judgement, Hypocrisy, Condemnation


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977616