*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978588-day-19--quarantined
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #2214585
Finally! I've got something to write about besides my self-pity!
#978588 added March 20, 2020 at 1:04am
Restrictions: None
day 19- quarantined
COVID-19. It’s affecting all of us in one way or another. Never in our lifetimes have we seen something of this magnitude and severity. So today, check-in with yourself and your fellow competitors - how are you? Where is your head at? What’s worrying you? Let’s gather our WDC community around us and hunker down together.

I haven't checked in with anyone else yet- partially because I'm chicken-s*** at reaching out first for stuff like that, and partially because I'm a little late to the party for this entry (as usual...). Word on the street, as far as I can tell, ranges from outrage to acceptance and everywhere in between.

At the end of the day there are lots of options, right? Go out and about your daily life like nothing's up and be met with locked doors, empty grocery shelves, annoyed people (because you're a selfish dick), and possibly the coronavirus. So that one's not so great.

You could sit at home, self-quarantined, and bitch about it. Watching the news DEFINiTELY doesn't help, I can give you that little nugget of wisdom. They're ALL pissing me off right now- even the news outlets I usually tune in to. Mainly because I'm beginning to detect a little bit of deliberate stoking of social unrest from all sides. It reminds me of middle school kids, particularly girls. (Sorry QPdoll , I'm speaking mostly for my 14-year-old self and for those girls I happen to know pretty well now. I have 14-year-old twin boys, so I'm privy to lots of these scenarios from all genders at this point). As I age, I have less and less patience for social engineering. Particularly where pandemics are concerned.

You could also sit at home all day, self-quarantined, and find something to do. I'm trying my best to do this one, and so far so good. I don't mind hunkering down and getting some writing done. And some laundry. Cooking's a thing, so that's fun. Except all the f***ing dishes it produces, but that's what kids are for.

I'm not worried yet, because I'm not sure it's helpful to be worried when I'm doing all I know to do to be careful and let's face it- we kinda don't know s*** at this point. My poor kids have been nowhere but our house and outside roaming the neighborhood in over a week, and they're friends aren't coming over yet. (Despite all of the begging and pleading.) I haven't been anywhere other than short trips to the store bedazzled with Clorox wipes. So that's that. If staying away from everyone and keeping myself sterilized every day isn't enough, I got nothin'. So I'm not worried.

I will say this much- I've been having strange dreams about all kinds of stuff. Some are sickness related, some have nothing to do with any of it, but they're much more vivid than usual right now. Also, I wake up every morning in a haze and ask the hubs (because I'm really kind of not sure): "is that coronavirus thing still happening? did i dream that?" To which he says "no" of course, "it's still a thing."

I can't shake the feeling that one of these days I'm gonna wake up to some headline saying "Nevermind- got it, citizens of Earth. No worries." Or "Our bad, it turns out not to be as bad as we thought- it's totally something else killing all these people completely un-virus related." To say I feel a little disconnected from reality at this point might be fair- although I'm still watching my kids like a dog at the dinner table.


-TPB

© Copyright 2020 trailerpark bodhisattva (UN: lollycrow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
trailerpark bodhisattva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978588-day-19--quarantined