*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979758-Chapter-Thirteen-Low-enough-to-jump-off-a-dime
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #2211147
A girl has given up on dating, until one guy changes her mind...
#979758 added March 31, 2020 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirteen: Low enough to jump off a dime
Chapter Thirteen: Low enough to jump off a dime

Maria has been avoiding Jackie...
For three days...
Jackie gives up, and considers this a hint. When girls avoid guys, it could mean a number of things...
When guys do it,
it means ONE thing...

"He stopped calling, Amy...He NEVER quits anything...Its one of the reasons I like him."
The two sit in the living room of their apartment eating takeout- Even Amy is concerned...
"Maria, youve got to call him, hes broken up with you."
Maria sits her spork down and leans forward in her chair, and exhales forcefully-
"Amy, what did I do?! I just got scared"...She removes her glasses and rubs her eyes- "Im such a b*tch...
Okay, okay," she says waving her hands frantically, pointing at her phone on the table- "Im going to call him."
Amy hands Maria the phone and cringes-
Maria dials his number-
No answer.
"Omg, hes SO stubborn," Maria rolls her eyes, tossing the phone-
She sits quietly, and looks at Amy- "I have to go over there."
"What?! Amy yelps coughing on her grape fanta- "You already look psycho, youre just going to pop up?"
"What am I suppose to do, Amy? I ran him off, he wont talk to me, and I love him. I HAVE to."
Maria drives over to Jackies house- She can see his feet poking out from under his car-
"Dang!" Jackie yells- "Somebody hand me a flathead!"
Maria looks at the toolbox, grabs the first screwdriver she sees, and lays it beside him-
He reaches over- "This a dang phillips! If aint nobody gone help me, then Im fixing"...
He rolls off from under the car and sees Maria-
"Im busy, Maria...And Im sure you are too," he says rolling back under the car.
Marias heart drops- "Jackie...Cmon"
Jackie gets off from under the car-
"Cmon, what? Why you here, Maria? You aint talk to me in like two days...Aint nothing wrong with you...Folks done seen you."
Maria tries to calm her panic-
"Im sorry, Jackie...I freaked out, and"...
Jackie pushes out a short laugh in disbelief- "And decided to make me feel low enough to jump off a dime."
"Jackie...I love you"...
"Aint so, Maria...You got ways of not showing it."
Maria stares in the air to blink back tears- "Dont do this to me, Jackie"...
Jackie squints and stares at Maria like he doesnt understand her-
"Dont do this to YOU, Maria? You aint got no mind how you avoiding me made me feel? It was cute the first day, it aint the third."
"I SAID, Im sorry Jackie...I love you...Just say it back...Please?"
Jackie wipes his hands on a rag, and looks down the street-
"I got work to do, Maria...I reckon you do the same."
Maria moves closer to him- "Cmon, Jackie...Right?..I mean, CMON?"
"Maria," Jackie says stepping back- "I think we aint mix right."
Maria forcefully moves forward- "We mix FINE, Jackie...We're just different."
"That aint mean nothing to me, but it means ALOT to you...On grounds how you treat me."
Maria folds her arms, and tilts her head- "HOW do I treat you, Jaxson?"
"Like Im a hound, that answer to you when you call me."
Maria is SHOCKED- "I cant believe you think of me like that, Jaxson," she says shaking her head-
"How else to think, Maria? You aint treat those other boys like this."
Maria moves in attempt to get in Jackies face for eye contact -
"WHAT other boys, Jaxson?!"
"The kind like you...The kind you aint got to put work into...Like you got to put work into me."
"Is that what you think of me, Jackie? Cause youre different, I dont have respect for you?"
Jackie just stares at Maria in silence-
Maria exhales- "Okay."

She walks away slow enough to be stopped by him...And tears swell up...

When he doesnt.


The sound of the screen door slamming, is a d*mning fate-

She starts the car and drives home.

As soon as she walks in, Amy doesnt need to ask questions about what happened.

She falls into Amys arms, and breaks in two...

(To be continued...)








CEO/CHIEF EDITOR OF
Cloverfield Review Forum
#Dangreviews
© Copyright 2020 Bride A. Livewire (UN: iambride at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bride A. Livewire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979758-Chapter-Thirteen-Low-enough-to-jump-off-a-dime