*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983526-Creating-a-Paperback-Cover
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2220633
Interested in publishing with Amazon KDP? I'm here to help!
#983526 added May 20, 2020 at 4:54pm
Restrictions: None
Creating a Paperback Cover
Congratulations, you have the hard work of formatting your manuscript done! Making a cover for your paperback can be extremely simple, or more difficult, depending on what you want to do.

First off, I'll say right now that I've never done the more difficult method of cover creation so I can't give a lot of details about it. However, both Amazon and Google have quite a bit of info about it, so that would be a great place to start.

What is the difficult way? It's when you create a wrap-around cover from scratch. A wrap-around cover is one that includes the cover, spine, and backside of the book. For this, you'll need to know exactly how wide your spine will be, and that is determined by how thick your book is. I'm not sure how to find this out, other than when the book is finished and listed on Amazon, the listing page will tell potential buyers the thickness of the book.

Because I'm unfamiliar with the "from scratch" method, I'll tell you how I do it.

On Amazon, edit the content of your paperback. Where you would normally upload your cover file, there should be a link for Amazon's cover creation software. Click that.

For the front cover, upload your Kindle cover. Next, change the back and spine to a solid color that matches or compliments the cover.

Choose a font for your back cover blurb and type it in. You can also copy and paste from your Kindle listing. Upload an author photo in the appropriate spot on the back cover.

If your book is less than 100 pages, you can not put text on the spine. However, I had a book that was exactly 100 pages and it still wouldn't let me so if you want spine text, make sure it's MORE than 100 pages.

Once your cover looks how you want it, go ahead and save it and hit submit.

You may want more cover options than the Amazon cover creator offers, if this is the case, you'll want to design or pay someone else to design a wrap-around cover for you. I wish I could offer more insight into that, but so far, I have only designed my paperback covers in this way.

I hope this helps. Like always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop them below!

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
Order my new book on Kindle!
ASIN: B084TLWDW8
Amazon's Price: $ 2.99
Not currently available.

FORUM
Review Exchange For Published Authors  (18+)
Need Amazon reviews for your book? Post them here: Make sure to read the rules!
#2200505 by IceSkatingSugarCube

FORUM
SugarCube's Monthly Random Contest!!  (13+)
A New Contest Every Two Weeks!
#2175732 by IceSkatingSugarCube

FORUM
SugarCube's Insomniac Asylum  (18+)
Night owls welcome!! Open 24 hours! Daily activities! Prizes!
#2179526 by IceSkatingSugarCube

© Copyright 2020 IceSkatingSugarCube (UN: jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IceSkatingSugarCube has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983526-Creating-a-Paperback-Cover