*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983737-Reviews-While-They-LastAnd-Activities
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1300042
All that remains: here in my afterlife as a 'mainstream' blogger, with what little I know.
#983737 added May 16, 2020 at 5:48pm
Restrictions: None
Reviews While They Last/And Activities
As opined in newsfeed, but probably not seen by the masses. *Laugh*

I've probably done four to five thousand reviews here. But, I don't think I'll ever actually know how many, because people have to delete items to fit within their portfolio parameters. Or, just all out delete their account for whatever reasons.

I don't feel I have that review feather fully stick in my cap. Not that anyone goes out of their way to see the effort that it takes/has taken to provide review content. But, it's like taking four to five thousand essay exams, where you don't want to mail in a 'C' effort because people/professors are watching. Plus, you have the added pressure of knowing the real authors see what you offer, and you respect them enough to really try understand and comment with a measure of intelligence the assembled words they need or want to hear.

I even forget myself to fully comprehend what it takes for just one other member to stroll over and gander at what I share. If they review, it's a blessing. The amount of effort I see from some either really comes from a source of higher experience or a true desire to fully commit to feedback.

Either way, I think reviewing as a writing medium at this website is likely undervalued. But, the act of reading and responding is the true reward.
I just know when I reread my old reviews, what I can still obtain in my port, it helps build my reviewing skills and gives greater perspective.

Appreciate reviews. When related items are gone, they're gone.

"Note: I've probably done four to five thousand revie..."

If you also find sitewide activities alluring and engrossing that you lose all ability to perceive space and time, you might be a writer desperate for some attention to your ability to construct words eliciting response from peers.  I commented on Tina Stone's newsfeed thread about her good fortune following the misfortune of deleting many activity files. It was more in response to Alyssa, a faithful follower and word junkie, who felt like she was mailing in her activity posting efforts:

"Chibithulu (Alyssa) ,

I wouldn't begrudge you for the truncated content, because I image these events are designed to be time consuming for whatever reason. We all have lives to live and personal goals to attain as writers foremost. I see the activities as useful as long as it keeps us within target of our own goals and not astray.

In fact, so tedious is it to fully comprehend and comply with multiple activity rules and guidelines, let alone the time it takes to commit to ideate and write, I just step away.

I know we need traffic and activity to keep this site hopping, but I have seen a lot of burnout. It's good folks find fun things to do here. Unfortunate that I see so much resignation of true goals in the process.

God bless you all for trying to keep us entertained. *Heart*

See, I was nice. *Wink*

But to further my point about traffic, I wonder if a great opportunity to take advantage of a captive audience was missed. I saw the efforts to inform and direct people to participate here, post-pandemic awareness in the states. In about that time frame, I've witnessed Writing.Com traffic numbers fall off sharply for the month after its peak on March 4th (per Alexa.Com free traffic stats). Activity has continued to slowly drop in the time since.

I'm certain that this is a seasonal effect, nonetheless. However, when you consider that people were essentially sequestered, around the world mind you, it's possible whatever efforts may have been made to drive traffic may have missed the mark. I can't speak to it with any authority other than as someone who stands in the shadows, watches and has learned over thirteen years as mainly a sideline participant.

I see strategies and types of members who are drawn here, cultivated as preferred members and moderators to do whatever it is they do to help WDC thrive. Some really good people trying to do really saintly-type stuff. I know that there are some that buy in. The result to me is there is not a lot of worthy content floating about for people floating through the internet streams to discover. Unfortunate. I'm old timer. I've seen better days. I'm sure it's no ones fault. I'm not criticizing. I'm trying to just be that bellwether in the storm, just one of the indicators to help with someone who is inclined with any prognosticating ability. Ship's off course a might.

I should shut up, right? Send the PR consultant over to have a talk with me about my blog content. Are you sure?

Listen, there are billions of websites around the world. You got lucky on the domain name and it is likely the diving rod that draws a mecca. But, it's not holding anyone here. If you look at the dead sea of cases and wonder why they lie about in purgatory, inactive, and think of the potential of retention. This could be a much greater force in the writing world, community. Perhaps, those at the helm do not have the necessary sea legs to captain such a mighty vessel. Wow, I'm going with this>

Yes, this site has great potential. Some say it's antiquated. But look at the name of the side of this listing ship that cannot possibly capsize and know you are safe here. It might not be aimed for high ground and it might not have the best meals or food and you could get sick, throw up overboard, may jump overboard, but it will keep drawing passengers. It has the capacity for so many more. It could have so many rooms more to explore with really good entertainment you could come back for night after night. But, this is what you get mid pandemic. This is the menu and these are the activities you can expect. Shuffleboard! No, that was an exclamation. I went on to long Oh, shuffleboard!

I love you all. I'll return to my cabin and wait further instruction. Or, worse, remain below deck with no one to talk to. Aye, aye, cappy! he exclaimed.

*Pthb* That's me blowing off air after that long exortation.

I'm not going to check grammar, spelling or word definition at this point. I'm a big boy. I know my English good.

© Copyright 2020 Lorem Ipsum, Perhaps? (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lorem Ipsum, Perhaps? has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983737-Reviews-While-They-LastAnd-Activities