*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984014-General-Flynn-and-the-Dryfus-Affair
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#984014 added May 24, 2020 at 5:37pm
Restrictions: None
General Flynn and the Dryfus Affair
General Flynn and the Dryfus Affair.

I remember reading in High School, Emil Zola's ,"J'accuse" story.

In the 1880's a French Artillery Captain, Dryfus, was charged and convicted of providing secrets to the Germans. A follow-on investigation revealed that another French officer was the real leaker. The difference between Dryfus and the other officer was that Dryfus was Jewish. Even after the new evidence was revealed, anti-Jewish sentiment was so divisive that half the country, could not admit that a travesty of justice had taken place. This Anti-Semitism was particularly virulent in the French Military who held the tribunal. Dryfus was sentenced to life and shipped off to Devil's Island.

However, since the exculpatory evidence was withheld, and later leaked to the press, it resulted in a new trial. Dryfus was brought back and again found guilty by a military court. Public outrage reached a fevered pitch. The French President pardoned him. A civilian, higher court of appeals cleared him of all charges. He was reinstated as a Major and went on to serve in the Army.

So what does this have to do with General Flynn? There are some remarkable parallels. Flynn was unjustly accused of conspiring with the Russians. He was illegally "unmasked." Zealots in The Justice system lured him into a perjury trap to which he plead guilty. He was destroyed just as Dryfus was. The only difference was the nature of the punishment. General Flynn had his honor and reputation ruined, he lost his post as National Security Advisor, he was destroyed financially and endured a three year legal battle that left him broke. Bad as that sounds, I suppose it beats Devil's Island.

The similarity is that while it did not pivot on religious intolerance it did pivot on political ideology. Long after the facts ceased to be of much importance the zeal of the Left and their refusal to admit the error of their ways, continues, right up to the present. Even after the Justice Department withdrew the case against Flynn, Stevens, a left leaning judge, has refused to allow the case to drop and continues to persecute an innocent man. The Liberal, Progressive, Socialist Democrats are today just as bad as the racially intolerant French were, in the 1800s. Some things never change.


© Copyright 2020 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984014-General-Flynn-and-the-Dryfus-Affair