*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984083-Warped
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#984083 added May 22, 2020 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Warped
What are these "feelings" and "emotions" of which you speak? They are illogical.

PROMPT May 22nd

Music often has the ability to remind us of old memories. In your entry today, be inspired by a specific piece of music or a musical instrument. What feelings/emotions does the music or instrument stir in you? Share a specific memory your chosen song or instrument reminds you of.


I strongly suggest that you skip to about 1:15 in the following video, to avoid a good bit of cringe. Yes, I know there's sorcery you can do with the URL to make a YouTube video start at a given time, but I can't be arsed to figure it out.



I'm choosing this one because I just found it today. Really, I could have picked any number of different tunes. This one, though... whenever I hear that opening fanfare, I smile. I can't help it. It's like when my cat does something unbearably cute, or when some asshole gets karmic justice that they deserve. (I'm a complicated individual.) It always makes me think of watching the episodes for the first, second, third, or whatever time, on the living room floor when I was a kid.

Star Trek, in its many incarnations, has been a part of my life for, well, all of it. At least the parts I can remember. It began the same year I did, but by the time I had any experiences that I really remember, it had already been cancelled. But, as it lived on in syndication, I grew upspent my childhood watching reruns.

Thus, I was just the right age to actually appreciate the Animated Series when it came out, and then old enough to cringe at the obvious pandering that was Wesley Crusher in The Next Generation. I was one of those idiot kids who actually wore a Command-track shirt (the yellow one) to the screening of The Motion Picture. I collected the books and comics. Okay, no, I never went to a convention; those people are weirdos.

I do have to admit I never finished watching Voyager. It just never worked for me. But the rest of Trek, even the movies that people bad-mouth? All of that.

The kicker is, I can't even identify what, specifically, it is about Star Trek that I like so much. I'm that way with a few things, songs, shows, movies or even video games. It's not that I couldn't communicate it if I figured it out; it's that I can't figure it out.

I guess I'll just have to keep watching until I do.

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984083-Warped