*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984734
Rated: 18+ · Book · Genealogy · #2181469
Wharton Family History: The Knights
#984734 added May 10, 2022 at 10:16pm
Restrictions: None
Ten Lords A-Leaping

The following history of the Lords Wharton is taken from the following primary source:

Lipscomb, George. The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, vol. 1, "Pedigree of Wharton, of Winchendon and Woodburn." London, England: J. & W. Robins, 1847. pp 543-562.
archive.org/details/historyantiquiti01lips/page/n5/mode/2up

As noted in The First Whartons: How We Got Our Name, Sir Thomas Wharton, the son of Henry de Wharton and Elizabeth de Musgrave, was through whom would come the Lords Wharton.

 1Sir Thomas Wharton♂︎[1388-1440]
         m. Anne Margaret Lowther♀︎
two children: Henry♂︎ and Christopher♂︎

 2Sir Henry Wharton♂︎[1437-?]
         m. Alice Conyers♀︎[1425-1520]
three children: Thomas♂︎ Joan♂︎ and Christopher♂︎

 3Sir Thomas II Wharton♂︎[1465-1531]
         m. Agnes Warcop♀︎[1470-?]
two children: Thomas♂︎,and Jane♀︎

 4Sir Thomas III, Lord Wharton♂︎[1495-1568]
         1st Baron
         m. (1) Eleanor Stapleton♀︎[1500-1585]
         four children: Thomas♂︎ Henry♂︎ Joane♀︎ Anne♀︎
m. (2) Lady Anne Talbot♀︎ (no children)

 5Sir Thomas IV Wharton♂︎[?]
         2nd Baron
         m. Lady Anne Ratclyffe♀︎
three children: Thomas♂︎ Philip♂︎ and Mary♀︎

 6Sir Philip, Lord Wharton{/u}♂︎[1555-1625]
         3rd Baron
         m. Lady Francis Clifford♀︎[1556-1592]
five children: Margaret♀︎ Sir George♂︎ Francis♀︎ Eleanor♀︎ and Sir Thomas V♂︎

 7Sir Thomas V Wharton♂︎[1587-1622]
         m. Philadelphia Carey♀︎
two children: Philip II♂︎ and Thomas VI♂︎

 8Sir Philip II, Lord Wharton♂︎[1613-1696]
         4th Baron
         m. (1) Elizabeth Wandesford♀︎
         one child: Elizabeth♀︎
         m. (2) Lady Jane Goodwyn♀︎
         six children: Anne♀︎ Margaret♀︎ Thomas VI♂︎
                             Mary♀︎ Philadelphia♀︎ Goodwin♂︎
         m. (3) Anne Carr♀︎
one child: William♂︎

    
Figure 1—Philip II and three of his children: Anne, Philadelphia, and Thomas VI.

 9Sir Thomas VI "Honest Tom," Lord Wharton♂︎[1648-1715]
         5th Baron, 1st Marquis
         m. (1) Anne Lee♀︎ (no children)
         m. (2) Lucy Loftus♀︎
three children: Philip III♂︎ Jane♀︎ and Lucy♀︎

                   
         Figure 2—Sir Thomas VI "Honest Tom,
                   1st Marquis Wharton.

10Sir Philip III, Lord Wharton♂︎[1699-1731]
         6th Baron, 2nd Marquis, 1st Duke
         m. (1) Martha Holmes (no children)
m. (2) Maria Theresa O'Neill O'Beirne (no children)

                   
         Figure 3—Sir Philip III, Duke Wharton.

What Became of the Barony

Since there were no male heirs remaining after the Duke Philip's death, all titles should have become extinct, and that should have been the end of it. It was not. The legacy of the Wharton Barony lives on, though carried by another name. All of this occurred through a serpentine ancestry of a triad of daughters named Jane and a mistake by Parliament's Committee of Privileges in the House of Lords.

The Wharton Barony was claimed by a Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte (1876-1934). [3] He justified his claim through a connection to the Wharton barons through several maternal lines. The connection began with one of the daughters of Philip II, 4th Baron Wharton ... Mary Wharton (Figure 4).

Mary married Sir Charles Kemeys and they had a daughter named Jane Kemeys. Jane married Sir John Tynte and they had a daughter named Jane Kemeys-Tynte. Jane married Colonel R. Hassel and they had a daughter named Jane Hassel. This final Jane married Halswell Milbourne Johnson, who took the surname Kemyes-Tynte in 1785. This was not unusual and was a stipulation of their inheritance of the family estates. They had a son named Charles, the same man who brought the claim.

Invalid Photo #1064397
Figure 4—The Wharton Barony from Philip II, 4th Baron, to the present.


This was all well and good—the claim was justified by line of descent. Unfortunately, the letters patent that gave Sir Thomas Wharton the baronage in 1543 could not be found. This led the Parlimentary Committee to make the assumption (which turned out to be in error) that the barony was created by writ of summons to Parliament, rather than a writ of letters patent.

Why was that a big deal? In the case of letters patent, the barony could only descend to male heirs. In a writ of summons, the barony could descend to heirs in general, including female heirs. In fact, the Barony had indeed been created by letters patent—a letter was discovered much later, dated 20 March 1543 from a man named Hertford to Henry VIII, that he had on the 18th at Newcastle, delivered to Sir Thomas Wharton the king's letters patent, creating him Baron.[4]

Unaware of this, a resolution by the Committee concluded that at the death of Sir Phillip III, Duke of Wharton, the Barony should have gone to his elder sister, Lucy (by then Lady Lucy Morice). It was further determined that at Lady Lucy's death in 1739, Phillip's other sister, Lady Jane (by then Lady Jane Coke), remained the sole heir and should have been therefore entitled to the Barony.

Being the sole heir, she should have been the 7th Baroness Wharton, and was awarded that distinction after the fact. Finally, it was determined that even so, at her death, the Barony fell into abeyance because the Committee did not have the authority to terminate it because of the existence of a judgement of outlawry against the Duke of Wharton that was still in effect. And so the matter appeared dead again, at least for 72 years.

On 15 February 1916, the King George V settled the matter. The abeyance was terminated by a writ of summons from the King to Parliament in favour of Kemeys-Tynte, who became the 8th Baron after the fact. In reality, he should have been more properly listed as the 1st Baron of a new Barony.

Nevertheless, the title was inherited by his son, Charles Kemeys-Tynte, 9th Baron Wharton and thereafter by his sister, Elisabeth Kemeys-Tynte (who became Elisabeth Arbuthnot), 10th Baroness Wharton. At Elisabeth's death in 1974, the Barony again fell into abeyance, but was once again revived in 1990 in favor of Ziki Robertson (1934-2000), 11th Baroness Wharton (Figure 4).

         
Figure 5—Myrtle Arbuthno as Ziki Arnot and Lady Robertson, 11th Baroness Wharton

Ziki was the daughter of Elisabeth Kemeys-Tynte and David George Arbuthnot, born Myrtle Arbuthnot. She was brought up in South Africa but moved to England in her teens. Know professionally as Ziki Arnot, she was a photographer, model, and actress, performing in the 1957 film Sword of Freedom.

Lady Wharton officially became a member of the House of Lords in April 1990, sitting as a crossbencher (independent member). In the House of Lords, she spoke regularly on the subject of animal welfare and was considered a passionate animal rights activist.

In 1999, with the passage of the House of Lords Act, she lost her automatic seat in the House of Lords, along with all other Hereditary Peers. Later that same year, after the reform, she was elected to serve as one of the 92 hereditary peers to remain in the House of Lords.

Lady Wharton married Henry McLeod Robertson, and so her son, Myles Christopher David Robertson (b.1964) became the 12th Baron Wharton, who remains active as Lord Wharton today. His heir presumptive (entitled to inherit the peerage) is his only child, Meghan Ziki Mary Robertson (b.2006).

So, as I write this in 2022, somewhere in England is a 16-year-old girl who one day may be the 13th Baroness Wharton. She is my 16th cousin, 1x removed—we are both descended from Henry Wharton, my 16th great-grandfather.

———————

FOOTNOTES

[1] Smith, Lawrence B. Wharton, Philip James, duke of Wharton and Jacobite duke of Northumberland (1698–1731)  . Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. Accessed 30 March 2022.

[2] Pope, Alexander. Epistle I. To Sir Richard Temple, Lord Viscount Cobaham  , stanza 22. [Dublin] : London: printed. And re-printed in Dublin, by George Faulkner, 1734. Accessed 30 March 2022.

[3] Bolton, Roy. The Kemeys-Tynte family and the Wharton Barony  . Halswell Park,15 December 2015. Accessed 30 March 2022.

[4] Hamilton Papers, ii. 303; Academy, 1896, i. 489; G. E. C[okayne]'s Complete Peerage, viii. 124, 130; cf. Hatfield MSS. i. 27, 28.

COPYWRITE INFORMATION

Unless otherwise noted, individual relationships were developed on ancestry.com, Threads of the Wharton Sleeve, while biographical and common knowledge comes from publicly shared information on Wikipedia that is available to everyone or nearly everyone. It is used in the broadest sense that has been accepted as valid by multiple users; therefore complies with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License   Permission is herby granted to redistribute any and all information, verbatim or modified, providing that you also comply with the terms of the Creative Commons Deed.

© Copyright 2022 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984734