*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985462-So-Many-Things-On-the-Mind
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#985462 added June 14, 2020 at 3:03pm
Restrictions: None
So Many Things On the Mind
         I'm trying to form some new personal habits. But they seem so trivial considering what's going on around us.

         So many of my thoughts or opinions might be controversial, and who needs a confrontation? No matter what you say someone will find fault with it. We live in a time and a culture when many are afraid to express themselves.

         I am a Christian and believe in living by the Golden Rule. Think how different our world would be if everyone did that. No man would ever slap around a woman just because he could. No one would mistreat children. Blacks wouldn't harass whites, and whites wouldn't intimidate blacks or browns. We could disagree with each other without being afraid for our families or fear of having our vehicles "keyed". We could actually have an opinion out loud without fear of retribution.

         I admit I'm still scared of a killer disease. I'm not willing to get my hair cut yet. I don't want to dine in a restaurant, but will do pick-up. Fortunately, they're discovering that surface contact is not as important as they first believed, so fewer people are wearing gloves. People are still wearing masks, not so much to keep from breathing in the virus, but to protect others from our sneezes, coughing, and unseen spit when we talk. The vulnerable groups are still vulnerable, and it's tempting when we see the healthy 30 and 40 year-olds going out. So I'm a little afraid for the protesters who are not wearing masks.

         I grew up in a time of civil disobedience. We protested the Vietnam War and civil rights. I remember discussions in church youth group. Civil disobedience in the form of sit-ins and marches, were acceptable forms of protest as long as you were willing to pay the price. If the police asked you to move, you moved over. If they arrested you, you didn't resist. You crossed your fingers you wouldn't get tear-gassed. Our adult leaders tried to prepare us before we got involved in things. The bottom line was voice your beliefs peacefully.

         I guess most of us are amazed that after all these years/decades of talking about police brutality that the bullies are still out there being bullies. How can they continue to draw attention to themselves, with cruelty and outrageous behavior when so many have been fired and publicly humiliated over their actions? Haven't they learned anything? I know the actions of the few are not the actions or standard for the majority. I have encountered some helpful and kind officers. But I have encountered some major jerks, including female cops.

         I haven't mentioned half the things that confound me and depress me. I can't stand to watch the news. And that's getting more biased all the time. You can switch from channel to channel or website to website and see how the same news is reported from different points of view. It's very rare to find a news source without bias. I also know that change can't be legislated; laws don't change people's hearts.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985462-So-Many-Things-On-the-Mind