*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987690-Prologue
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2226460
Follow Rane on her journey from lonely orphan to top assassin for the IAL.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#987690 added July 13, 2020 at 2:17am
Restrictions: None
Prologue
It was a hot summer night, no different than any other that month. In an idyllic suburban neighborhood, around 10:30 PM, an unassuming car pulls into the driveway of an unassuming home. Anyone who gave this home a quick glance as they passed by would think it was just your typical American home, inhabited by a typical, nothing special family. They would be correct. Mostly.

For this was the home of Mr Westbrook, a businessman. His wife Rane, housewife. And their daughter Diana, who was no older than six. At first look, they seemed to be a regular family. But everybody has their secrets, some bigger than others. As is often the case, Rane's secret, specifically her past life, is about to come back to haunt her in a big way.

Rane Westbrook exited the family vehicle, pausing to collect the groceries that had been the reason she'd left home in the first place, and made her way to the front door. She was a red fox woman, with long crimson hair, yellowish green eyes and a curvaceous figure. Before the door had even fully opened, she called out "Honey, I'm back! Sorry I'm so late, but traffic was..."

She stopped mid-sentence, as she saw several strange men, all dressed in black and wearing masks gathered in her living room, all of them with weapons. There in the center, tied back to back on chairs and their mouths duct taped, were her husband and daughter, both trying in vain to give her muffled warnings about the man behind the door, who proceeded to knock Rane out by pistol whipping the back of her head, sending her and the groceries spilling onto the floor.

When she came to, she found herself in the same predicament as her family. Except her mouth was free to spout profanity and insult at her captors, which is exactly what she proceeded to do, until she felt the barrel of a gun pressed against her temple. "Hold it!" Said a feminine voice from one of the assailants. Rane looked up to see one of the intruders take off their mask to reveal a black catwoman, as she ordered her henchman to stand down. "We already discussed this. If anyone is to kill her, it's gonna be me." The black cat had hair that went down to her waist, that was as dark as coal, much like her fur, and her piercing yellow eyes seemed to almost burn with hatred as she knelt down in front of Rane and stared straight into her eyes. "Do you know who I am?" Rane shook her head. The cat snarled "Well I know you, you murdered my husband! You might not remember who I'm talking about, since so many others have died by your hand, but it really doesn't matter. Now, You're going to watch as the ones you love die, right before I finish you myself."

The cat pulled a gun from behind her back and cocked it. "But first..." She said "First, I want to know just why you did what you did to me. What drove you to kill so many?"

Rane looked over at her family, who had a mix of terror and confusion in their eyes. They knew nothing about her previous occupation, and she'd hoped to keep it that way. But now, if they were to survive this ordeal, she would have to spill everything right in front of them. Hopefully, she could think of a way out of this in the meantime. She looked the catwoman in the eyes once again and said "Alright. You really wanna know? Then you better sit down, cause it's gonna be a long story."

© Copyright 2020 Johnny Foxx (UN: jfoxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Johnny Foxx has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987690-Prologue