*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/988529-Flotsam-and-Jetsam
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#988529 added July 18, 2020 at 8:43pm
Restrictions: None
Flotsam and Jetsam
I am sitting on the porch right after church. It's a most excellent Saturday evening. The sun is out, the sky is blue, but I see cirrus clouds, Mares' tail they're called.“Mares' tails and mackerel scales make lofty ships to carry low sails.” They usually mean rain is on the way. Good for us. We can always use the rain in Montana.

Church was nice, I always enjoy the time with fellow believers. We had a new couple, just moved into the area. He said remember us as 'President Clinton and Queen Esther'. So now I am sure to remember these two with that introduction. I can always remember faces, names not so much.

The other day I was thinking of some of the items I've seen from my time at the thrift store. So this is from the detritus destined for the dump, the flotsam and jetsam of life, I have found:
An original oriental rug from Iran, this I bought - verified by the cleaner of such rugs - Persia/Iran rugs - to me the term is interchangeable- to the people not at all.
The box of dreams - all that baby girl stuff I talked about previously.
Dirty underwear - people really do give that away. Really, they do. Unwashed. Ooooh. This is why I always wash my hands when I come home after the thrift store. Always.
Stained and ripped shirts and blouses, dresses.
Rundown cowboy boots.
Workboots with the toes blown out.
Torn and dirty jeans, I know they're all the style but these are beyond nasty.
Brand new shoes still in the box.
Brand new white boots suitable for a wedding, never worn. There's a story there.
Brand new shirts, dresses, pants, blouses, tops, still in wrappers, never worn.
Clothes with tags still on them, never worn. Some of those I've bought.
It amazes me every time I go what people part with, the amount of clothing, the majority is junk from China, that is given away. Just amazing.

But then we are such a disposable society now. Gone is the day of hand-me-downs. You had to wear the clothes your sister, your brother wore. You wore your clothes out. You wore your shoes out. You had one nice pair of shoes. You had one pair of shoes for school. You had one coat for winter.

Now people have closets bigger than the room I am remodeling to be my new bedroom. Indecent, in my opinion. But then, no one asked for my opinion.

I watched one of those hoarding shows the other night. This woman had been buying clothes for years, there were so many items they made a pile at least 6 feet high and 10 feet wide. You could no longer see any furniture in her apartment. She definitely had a problem. It goes back to the rule in our house. Something comes in, something has to go out.

So that is all the news there is to print this fine Sabbath evening in Montana. I had a fine day of rest. Tomorrow is another day. Another week to start over. Amen.













Queen Norma Jean *Crown*

© Copyright 2020 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/988529-Flotsam-and-Jetsam