*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992827-Future-Imperfect
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#992827 added September 9, 2020 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
Future Imperfect
What "future self?" This is entirely too optimistic.

PROMPT September 9th

Write a letter to your future self. Write the date you would want to read the letter again at the top of your entry (you can choose how far in the future this date is; One year, five years, twenty years, etc.) What would you want to tell your future self? What would you want to know from them?


To: Me. Date: September 9, 2021.

Hey, asshole. Got that flying car yet? No? Still alive, at least? Well, I'm going to assume that you are and go from there.

Please at least tell me 2021 has been better than 2020 was. Somehow I think I'm going to be disappointed.

But hey, you're starting to get the senior discounts. So at least the movie theater is cheaper. Assuming it's still around; it wasn't looking good as of last week.

Most importantly, though, I trust you've discovered more new and interesting beers. Preferably in Belgium. No, don't tell me you didn't make it to Belgium because the EU is still closed to us plague rats in the US. I don't want to know.

I hope you've at least done some traveling; I shall be quite disappointed if you still haven't moved from this spot except to go to the local purveyors of fine malt beverages, including said movie theater.

I'm guessing Elder Scrolls 6 is still "sometime in the future."

But, you know, I suppose if nothing much changes in the next 365 days, things could be worse. Zombies. Alien invasion. Giant Meteor. The inevitable return of the Old Gods, squamous and rugose.

They could also be better, but I'd rather not think about that. Hope only leads to disappointment; only pessimism can bring happiness. Well, pessimism and beer. Well, pessimism, beer, and some of the movies that are supposed to come out in the next year.

Or, alternatively, maybe you'll come across this entry and have a nice chuckle about just how wrong I was. That would actually please me. As you know, that's the great thing about being a pessimist: you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Crack open a cold one for me. And write back soon.

Regards,
Waltz (from one year ago)

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992827-Future-Imperfect