*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993999-Monsters-and-OgresOh-MY
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2232763
Stories and Poetry of the Past
#993999 added September 23, 2020 at 8:09am
Restrictions: None
Monsters and Ogres,"Oh MY!"
Monsters and Ogres,"Oh MY!"

Andy woke from his stupor, with his fog hanging heavy like an anvil. Ingested alcohol from the previous night had impaired his grey matter, to the point of not knowing where he was or even the day. He drank because it was Saturday and because he could. Events of the night had something to do with his overindulgence but lay foggy in his mind as he whistled in his first putrid breath of morning air. If his memory allowed, he would wallow in thankfulness for his escape of near death. That sentiment wouldn't surface until somewhere after his first cup of coffee. He turned and planted his bare feet on his bedroom floor as his first sign of action. The mystery of his whereabouts cleared as familiar images focused.

He tromped down the hall of his apartment in the hopes of finding any miraculous wonder of food, drug, or drink to stop the pounding at his temples. He came fully awake when he saw the debris littering his living room. Bits of fur floated in the air. Dried blood decorated the walls and puddles of the same liquid yet to congeal carpeted the floor. No furniture stood upright. Garbage was strewn about in a circular pattern, with salt edging the circle. Clarity of the night stomped on Andy's brain. He inched his way to the kitchen for an infusion of coffee. He sat surveying the damage and remembering.

Angus insisted Andy clean the closet at the Writing.com office. That was his first memory and the start of his nightmare. He could hear Angus say," A shipment of merit badges are coming and no place to store them. Get it done!"

Andy had cleaned as instructed. He did a fine job, but the door was left open. Figments, beasts, ogres, devils, and monsters of imagination that had graced the halls through the years followed Andy home. The creations of all the writer's thoughts came to life. They were angry with Andy for changing their story.

When Andy entered his apartment, the characters of evil entered with him, as uninvited guests. At first, they were passive in their haunting, moving the furniture and pictures only slightly, enough to make the man question his psyche and begin the drinking phase. The aggressive nature of the beasts intensified. One furry ogre slapped Andy repeatedly. A devil lifted him off the couch by the throat. Andy blamed it on the hallucinations of drink. When the one-eyed bloody reptile with the forked tongue made his appearance, Andy saw the reality of his situation. In full attack mode, the beasts descended.

He took advantage when a flaming witch from Salem swatted him across the room. Andy grabbed the salt shaker from the counter drawing a circle around him. Chaos ensued with the characters gnawing, biting, and clawing to escape the circle. Some melted into puddles of liquid goo. Others crashed into the walls, exploding like microwave potatoes. Andy sat in the fetal position until it was over.

Word count 500


© Copyright 2020 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993999-Monsters-and-OgresOh-MY