*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/994283-A-Valentine-for-Dimitri
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2232763
Stories and Poetry of the Past
#994283 added September 26, 2020 at 5:56pm
Restrictions: None
A Valentine for Dimitri
A Valentine for Dimitri


It was the month of February with romance in the air. Roses were exiting the flower shops at exorbitant prices. Everywhere you turned, couples were discussing dinner and date plans for the 14Th, the culmination of heart day. Stuffed animals of pink, white, and red were flying off the store shelves. Candy makers were smiling at the sweet profit in their pocket. February, the month that Hallmark designated as the time to let someone know that you love them, was in full swing.

Dimitri, a bachelor of class and distinction, was feeling the pressure. He liked the single life without the complications of a wife and family. He had recently started dating and hanging out with a gorgeous brunette that lived down the street. Lorelei was fun to be with and very smart. She was a lady of good breeding, who was very sleek and stylish. Dimitri had moments spent with Lorelei that made him think he wanted to spend his life with her. Usually, those times occurred during quiet romantic interludes of crooning and baying at the moon. Morning always came with Dimitri eager to return home. It was a little too soon to commit to a lifetime.

Dimitri's dilemma was to figure out what an appropriate gift for the current love of his life. They had not been dating long so he didn't want to go to the extremes. He had always heard you should start small or something bigger and better would be a requirement the following year. They had been dating just long enough that he needed to mark the occasion in some manner. This was not a freebie February for Dimitri.

Dimitri decided to take a stroll to the local market. He would join forces with all of the other males in their quest for sniffing out the perfect gift. He paced the aisles hoping his prize would present itself or that an inspiration would strike him. The store was covered in hearts of decor. Groups of men were huddled by the greeting cards, while others shopped the candy aisle. Nothing in these areas captured Dimitri's fancy. Lorelei, he decided deserved the best.

Dimitri didn't know if it was the shopping hound in him or he was truly getting a whiff of something in the air. He followed his nose. Once he reached the aisle from where the scent was emanating, Dimitri stopped in his tracks. There sitting in the case was the most extraordinary gift of perfection for Lorelei. The gift spoke of love and sharing. This present could speak volumes about feelings of the moment without committing to an eternity. Dimitri retrieved the glorious purchase and paid at the counter. He strolled happily home.

The big day of love arrived. Dimitri was excited to surprise Lorelei with his gift. He stealthily snuck into her yard. He placed a sign decorated with hearts. At the door of the dog house, he left his message of love for Lorelei. He had added a stuffed rose with a squeaker inside.
"A single rose with a note attached hung from the door. The note simply stated: I wish to share this soup bone for two for under the moon tonight I want to bay with you." Lorelei, his little French poodle, would love it! Dimitri thought that just maybe one day they would have a family of Labradoodles.


Word count 567
© Copyright 2020 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/994283-A-Valentine-for-Dimitri