*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998587
Rated: 18+ · Book · Horror/Scary · #2203800
The inhabitants of a small town find themselves in the middle of an unknown outbreak.
#998587 added January 4, 2021 at 8:06am
Restrictions: None
Time to run
"Goddammit!" Michael winced in pain as if a hot spike just stabbed right through his left leg. He jumped over the fence straight after Marsha without seeing much in front of him. "Just bloody great."

"What happened?" Emily rushed to her husband, but Michael waved her to stay put.

"Think I twisted my ankle," he whispered and tried to put his left foot down. Another painful jolt forced him to lift it straight back up. "Yep, definitely twisted."

"Bloody great indeed," Danny mumbled nervously looking around. "Now we are not only wide in the open for those monsters to chase us, but also slow."

"Shut up for once!" Linda hissed at him, at the same time trying to comfort Marsha. The older woman sobbed on her shoulder, still shocked from losing her husband just moments earlier.

Danny bit his upper lip and after a brief pause, asked, "So what now?"

"We definitely can't stay here," Michael replied, trying to get his bearings. His eyes needed a few seconds to adapt to onsetting darkness. Their group landed in the middle of the narrow passageway. Tall fences on both sides separated opposite rows of residential backyards. The passage was about 100 meters long opening to the side streets on both ends, and Michael couldn't see anyone on either exit.

"Any ideas?" Danny reiterated his question. The man was growing anxious.

Suddenly the glass door shattered and ghouls spilt out into the backyard, searching for survivors. Everyone froze with the only a thin wooden wall separating them from certain death. They could hear infected shuffling around, gurgling and snarling. Creatures couldn't see them, but most definitely would hear if anyone as much as coughed. Michael wasn't sure if they could smell them but had no intention of staying around to find out. It was time to leave.

"Don't make a sound," Michael whispered to the rest and pointed to the left, encouraging them to move. "And stay in the passageway. Don't come out just yet. There might be more of them around the corner." He had enough surprises for one day.

Everyone quietly stood up and sneaked away while Emily helped her husband to limp in tow. Dean offered his assistance, but the passageway wasn't wide enough for three people to fit through, so he followed behind if Michael would lose his balance. Danny was first at the opening and peeked outside while others approached.

"Shit. I see some lurking around," Danny cursed and leaned away from the edge. "No way we can get past them unnoticed."

"Let me have a look." Michael signalled him to get back and kneeled next to the corner. He carefully looked outside where dim street lights revealed a gruesome picture. Abandoned and crashed vehicles littered the street. Michael could count several bodies scattered around. Some appeared to be more or less intact; others were mangled beyond recognition as if a pack of wild animals ravaged them, stripping flesh from their bones. He also noticed numerous shapes lingering further down the road. The nearest ghoul in bloodied sweatsuit was about 25 meters away, slowly wobbling on the spot like a thin tree swayed by the wind. In the middle of the street, an abandoned ambulance lay flipped on the side. Through the wide-open back doors, Michael could see blood smears all over the interior and half-eaten remains of the paramedic on the ground just outside. The sight resembled a scene from an apocalyptic horror movie one would only expect to see on the big screen. Yet this was real. Michael pushed away grim thoughts and concentrated on the buildings across the street. A row of two-storey townhomes ran along the sidewalk separated by small intersections on either side further away. He instantly dismissed the idea of trying to reach one of them, as most of the infected congregated there. He also noticed that some of the front doors were left wide open. It could be their chance.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Dean whispered kneeling next to Michael.

"Not much of choice, Dean," Michael replied. "We'll have to get across somehow."

"So, where are we going exactly?" Danny asked in the back, his voice much louder than desired. He just couldn't keep quiet.

Michael could feel the man breathing down his neck. He slowly turned around and threw an angry glance at Danny. Michael didn't like his neighbour one bit and tolerated him just for the sake of Emily's and Linda's friendship. Only now he noticed his favourite baseball bat twisting in Danny's hands and mumbled, "I see you took a souvenir?"

"I hope you don't mind." Danny grinned. "Didn't find another gun."

"Anywhere but away from them," Marsha replied to Danny's previous question. Fighting her grief, she surprisingly quickly found the inner strength to look after Simon. Probably because they both shared similar pain. Squeezing his hand, she whispered to him, "You are going to be all right. We'll get through this."

The boy didn't answer, just looked at her and nodded.

"Looks like the hospital might be our best bet," Michael said to the rest of the group.

"The street is swarming with them!" Danny protested. "How do you propose we get around those things, huh? We could try to outrun them but with your twisted foot….."

"Shut up, Danny!" Linda almost barked at her husband. "If you have nothing better to suggest, keep your mouth zipped!"

Danny wanted to say something but just gasped shaking his head.

"Thanks, Linda," Michael nodded as a sign of appreciation and pointed to the house right across the street, one with front doors wide open. "If my memory serves me right, those townhouses have back doors leading to the park on the other side. If we are quiet, we might be able to sneak through unnoticed. The park should provide enough cover, and from there it's just two more blocks to the hospital. We might have a chance. I vaguely know the route," he added and looked at his wife for support.

"Michael is right," Emily quickly responded, noticing his sign. "Anyway, we can't stay here, and there is nowhere else to go."

"And we better hurry!" Linda squealed, pointing at the far end of the passageway. Two human shapes rushed towards them and from the looks of them, not from the home team.

"Shit, they noticed us!" Michael cursed and stood up. "Hurry, run across the street. Don't stop for anything! Danny, Ian, Dean, be ready to help me block the door after we get in!"

"Sure thing," Ian replied and gently nudged both Marsha and Simon, encouraging them to move. "I will be right behind you."

"C'mon, hurry up!" Danny growled nervously looking over his shoulder. By now, he could see at least five shapes running through the passageway, with more joining every second. Being the last in the queue meant being first to be attacked. He unceremoniously pushed Linda in front of him, yelling, "Move, goddammit!"

As the group spilt into the street, their presence was noticed much sooner than Michael expected. The ghoul in a sweatsuit suddenly jerked and turned towards them. He screeched loud enough to draw the attention of others lingering further away and rushed from the spot. His badly damaged and dislocated hip though disagreed, and the reanimated tumbled to the asphalt surface. With unwavering resolve the creature moaned, eyes locked on the prey, his hands reaching out, shivering fingers clawing at the air. Distant groans and snarls echoed all around, dim street lights soon revealing numerous human shapes running in their direction.

"They're onto us!" Michael shouted and grabbed his wife by the hand. There was no point to keep quiet anymore. "Over there!" He pointed towards the door and rushed across the street. Each step felt more painful than the previous one, his ankle twitching and swelling. But stopping now would have only one outcome. By the time group reached the middle of the street, at least a few dozen ghouls were rapidly closing on them.

Suddenly a man in a soiled hospital gown appeared from behind the ambulance. In split seconds, he covered the distance and crashed into Michael before he could react.

"Michael!" Emily screamed as both men fell to the ground. Ghoul, relentlessly chomping his jaws, tried to take a bite out of Michael's face but Dean grabbed him by the gown and threw against the side of the ambulance. Zombie snarled and jumped to his feet but not before the baseball bat to the head forced him down again. With a second blow, Danny ended the creature for good. Cursing he hit the corpse third time, just to be sure.

"Thanks," Michael grunted, while Dean helped him to stand up. "Emily, get into the house. I am right behind you!" he yelled at his wife, at the same time trying to catch his breath.

"Watch out!" Marsha screamed, but her warning came too late as another shape materialized from the shadow of the ambulance and leapt on Dean's back. Dirty fingers forced his head to the side, and before Dean could do anything, bleeding teeth sank deep into his neck.

"Get off me, you filth!" Dean groaned, trying to shake the growling ghoul off. Sharp pain paralyzed his body, forcing him to drop to his knees. The reanimated latched on firmly and wouldn't let go.

"Hold on!" Michael yelled, raised his revolver to the creature's head and pulled the trigger. With the back of his head now missing, ghoul's jaws finally relaxed, leaving a stream of blood gushing out of the ghastly wound. Dean pressed his right hand against the ruptured carotid artery, but thick red liquid kept seeping through his fingers. He tried to stand up yet fell back to his knees again, strength rapidly abandoning him.

"C'mon big guy, don't give up on me now," Michael pulled him back up, with the corner of his eye noticing more shapes closing in. "We have to hurry! Danny, help me get him across the street!"

"Eat that, you piece of shit!" With one last kick, Danny finally left the battered corpse alone and did as instructed without moaning about it for the first time.

By the time others reached the opposite sidewalk, a human shape had appeared from the adjacent doorway and within seconds rammed into Marsha. Screeching ghoul bit her in left wrist before she could dodge him. Yelling in pain and horror, she tried to push the monster away, while shielding Simon. The boy just stood there, unable to move. Recent events were too much for his fragile mind.

"Get off her!" Ian grabbed the creature by the hair and yanked away from Marsha. The infected staggered and switched his focus on him. His jaw dropped, ready for another assault. Unarmed Ian could do nothing but step in front of Marsha and Simon to face the inevitable. Before the ghoul could move, a gunshot echoed and his twisted body dropped to the pavement with a smouldering hole in the left temple.

Michael, panting, lowered his gun and yelled, "RUN!" as a swarm of snarling and moaning human shapes converged on them from all directions. Closest of them, a woman in torn dress dashed towards Linda. Another gunshot echoed, and she fell just inches away from her target.

"This was my last round!" Michael shouted and dropped now a useless weapon to the ground. Together with Danny, they tried to keep Dean moving, but the big man used up his last strength reserves. His legs finally gave in, and he collapsed next to the sidewalk. With each passing heartbeat blood pumped out of the torn artery, his face turning pale from exhaustion.

"Get up!" Michael yelled in despair as two more ghouls appeared out of nowhere, and both went straight for Dean. As if some primal instinct still present in them suggested to go for easiest and weakest prey. Like a pack of rabid hyenas, they tore into Dean's legs. There was no saving him now.

"He's fucking gone, man!" Danny cursed, stood up and ran towards the house.

"I am sorry," was all Michael could muster to whisper before getting up and rushing after Danny. More ghouls reached Dean eager to join the feast. His demise bought them a few precious seconds.

Marsha and Simon were first through the door with Ian pushing them inside. Emily stopped in the doorway right behind them, waiting for Linda to catch up. She could do nothing but watch as someone suddenly grabbed her friend by the hand over the handrail. Linda instinctively stepped back, dragging her snarling attacker along. She tripped, and both fell down the stairs with ghoul landing on top of her.

"Linda!" Emily yelled and stepped out to help her. Danny also noticed his wife in trouble and closed the distance right before the infected could take a bite out of her. Instead, ghoul's teeth collided with Danny's baseball bat. With the shattered jaw creature rolled to the side, revealing Linda's lifeless face. During the fall, she broke her neck.

"Oh no, oh, dear God!" Danny yelped, dropped the baseball bat and fell to his knees in front of his succumbed wife.

"Emily, get back inside!" Michael screamed as he reached Danny and Linda. "She's gone! We have to go!" He grabbed Danny by the armpit and pulled him up. The swarm was nearly upon them.

"Let me be!" Danny yelled and pushed his hand way. "I don't give a shit anymore!"

"You can grief later!" Michael grunted and with brute force shoved Danny ahead of him. Ignoring the mindnumbing pain, Michael covered the last few steps and pushed Danny inside while Ian slammed the door behind them. Moments later loud banging of dozens of hands erupted on the outside. The horde reached the house.

"I don't think it will hold them for long," Ian said, pressing his shoulder against the door. It was shaking; its hinges creaked under the weight of the crowd trying to get in.

Michael quickly looked around for anything to reinforce the door. They were in a narrow hallway with the dining room to the left and staircase leading upstairs. By the wall, he noticed a shoe cabinet. "Danny, help me with that!" Michael said and limped towards the piece of furniture.

"I'll help you!" Emily stepped in.

One glance at Danny standing in the corner by the door was enough for Michael not to bother asking again. The man was broken inside. Instead, he nodded to his wife, and they dragged the cabinet to the door.

"This will give us few minutes at best," Ian grunted giving a hand. "But not more."

"We won't be staying here any longer," Michael replied. Suddenly a loud thud echoed from the dining room followed by Marsha's scream.

To be continued
© Copyright 2021 K.Kacinskas (UN: klemensas77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
K.Kacinskas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998587