*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/2191179
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Folklore · #1343647
???? TEFF HAS Twelve years on WDC! FORUM keeps ADC records.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:41pm
GET THEME: ANNOYING!
SECTION TWO: JAN 2011 ADC NL

One wonders if writers overusing get, think the action is cute. Prior to busting ahead on contents of A STRANGER IN THE FAMILY, suggesting readers reach for their hard back, staple dictionary. From WEBSTER’S NEW WORLD DICTIONARY, c-rt 1994, Prentice Hall, Publisher, turning to page 567, mid right hand column, details for the word ‘get’ clocks in @ 5 inches plus. On page 568* one beholds another 3.5 inches of incredibly small print. Whereas get-up (a costume) and get-away list as separate entries.

Here one finds fast lane substitutes, which are easily understood by readers of Young Adult fiction, (YA on Library shelves) also a given for adult fiction.

* From WEBSTER --- Presented in reverse for: grasp, understand --- get
seize -- get hold of
reach, arrive -- to get home
set up communication with (contact) -- e.g. get Paris
to bring -- get your book

The contagious catchall word G-e-t also establishes itself for: to: gain, catch, capture, become inflicted with (get a cold)

To learn,, to commit to memory --- get -- yuk, is there no justice out there?

to influence (convince) or persuade a person to do something --- e.g. get him to leave.

So for flashes, the shortest of the short -- we may be seeing more get & getting and got & gotten. Oh my!

To cause to be -- get one’s hands dirty.
To cause to act in a certain way -- get the door to shut properly.

BTW -- Once asked a WC author how to substitute for -- get out of a car ---
She replied. In a mini skirt? Carefully.

Now onto the attack. Hell yeah, Robert Barnard knows better, bit of a guess. So -- Character Kit, a formerly kidnapped child of three, now twenty-ish is about to interview his brother-in-law, Ivor, twice his age. Both are foaming at the mouth (again all dialogue overusing get/getting. gotten. Page 73 “Whether you’re likely to get any information --- DISCOVER/ FIND

“I got your hotel -- actually this remark reminds me of Monopoly -- use --- Character name -- Isla supplied your hotel.

“I got the morning off -- got= have --- Leaving this exchange one feels pity for Ivor, an educated, successful car salesman. Since he’s apt to hide his acumen with cheap talk --- uh by using get. Do we use it? Probably. Should we continue .. personal choice, but checking and listening throughout one day spells a fun time, available to all.

Here we are raised on fetch. Fetch me a cup of tea.

The dialogue goes completely south when a well accredited historian enters get overdrive like he’s wallpapering the sky with getgetgetgettinggotgettinggotgetting. The same thing happens when Kit’s investigation lands him Palermo. Here’s what occurs, right before our eyes. He’s meeting with his adopted father’s father. The guy’s age rendered at plus ninety. “I got them out of Germany ...” --- I helped them leave Germany ---” One could use instrumental, as the character is essential for Jewish citizens to escape The Third Reich.

Then .. “I got their money out as well -- I secreted their money out ..

Never overlook, the simplest of all --- Got a call, received a call. Get a letter, receive a letter. Sub with attain, obtain, etc.

The grandfather tell Kit: “They tell me hardly anyone gets married these days.” Pooh -- marries.

Since looking up GET OVERUSE on a msn.com search, using several ploys -- see with favorable assent by many who offer services for writers, businesses, even online courses that the stupid old word “get” is ensconced. Will it ever experience a downturn in popularity?

So for these online ones applauding themselves with slight attractions for their wares, I for one am soundly not interested -- because I think anyone should always reach higher via wording when offering an appeal of any sort, without realization that they are simply, beyond endurance pissing me the hell off.

Move.org began a topic with the following: THE SENATE IS GETTING READY --- Heavens, it’s preparing, sillies.

Then appears: “What the republicans are getting in the tax deal --- “ Goshers! Try, obtaining, expecting, gaining

Another version, same folks --- GET SECRET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS --- Try: remove, take, KIBOSH

Yes, Rep. Gabrielle Gifford's was shot in the head at close range at a Tucson grocery store, where six people died on Jan 8, 2011. The New York Times article, read via msn.com, later supplies --- “they’ve got to realize” --- Why not must
realize ...

Then, President O states (same topic)”We’ve got to get to the bottom of this.“ Ouch .. Most public officials don’t shy away from ‘full investigation.’

One of my particular favorites appears in my email spam allatime. GET PUBLISHED .. Uh oh, hons, tis BECOME or BE

GET can be BUY, PURCHASE, CHECK -- but oh well, what the heckers. WE need court that stellar, invisible audience with the best we can fathom. While hopefully without a doubt over emphasis on numerous, tried and true uses of get shall ever the twain defeat -- uh oh until revelation sets in, like snowflakes during a blizzard, that overuse and acceptance for stinky Lil GET, might both dummy down and dismay readers./// Cordially, Keeping home fires burning bright -- TEFF// Jan 12, 2011
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
GET THEME: ANNOYING! · 01-23-11 7:41pm
by April Sunday

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, April Sunday.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/2191179