*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/2722089
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:06am
Genre question
I have just spent four hours arguing with my brother. Or more like debating, doesn't matter, the topic was "book genres". We have explored quite the range of possible genres, debating whether novels can have multiple genres, and what combinations.

But then again, the question has arisen of what genre my current project falls into. And (shamefully) I couldn't answer. Since it troubles me so much, I'd like to ask the WDC community for help. Here are all the details you need:

- Setting is of 18th century, if you are unfamiliar with it, it's the period between renaissance and the industrial era. The 18th century is the age of enlightenment, the age of conquest and empires. It's when commoners lived in middle-age environment, whereas the nobility had 19th century-like mansions and households. Battles were fought by masses of non-trained, conscripted soldiers wearing colorful uniforms, armed with inaccurate muskets (redcoats, for example).

- It is set in a fictional world, which is based on Europe and Asia in the 18th century. It has unique landscape, religion, traditions and people, but has nothing that'd make one shout "fantasy". No magic, no scientific wonders and religion is limited to what it is in reality.

- The plot revolves around a political conflict, explained from the perspective of multiple noble and commoner families. I keep it realist, meaning that it isn't about the battles on the borders, but about the battles within the banquet halls.

The genres we thought of were Alternate History (but it's fantasy), High Fantasy (but there aren't fantastic elements), Urban Fantasy (but it's in alternate history, in the past), Steampunk (since 18th century is when steam engines were invented and the story starts in the '80s; but the story has no scientific elements other than real inventions). Honestly, I have no idea. Please help me!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Genre question · 08-23-14 9:06am
by Medvekoma
Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 12:22pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 2:38pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 6:15pm
by TJ Marie
Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 6:34pm
by Annette
Re: Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 7:07pm
by Medvekoma
Re: Re: Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 7:20pm
by edgework
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 7:43pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 7:50pm
by Medvekoma
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre question · 09-09-14 5:52am
by SnickSnack
Re: Re: Re: Genre question · 08-23-14 7:42pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/2722089