SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3198912
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1786069
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 15, 2018 at 6:49am
Week 3 Unofficial Blogging Challenge Prompts
Here are the prompts for week 3 of the unofficial 30 Day Blogging Challenge.

I hope you guys are enjoying the unofficial challenge and that it hasn't been too unofficially challenging.

From the rescue of the Thai boys soccer team, to clashes at Wimbledon, to upsets at the World Cup, it has been a massive week in sport.

As such this week's prompts are largely, but loosely, sport related with, as you will see, a strong emphasis on heroism.

> MOTIVATION MONDAYS!: We'll discuss quotes attributed to people from all walks of life,
> and you're encouraged to share quotes related to the day's topic.

Today's quote is in regard to women in sport. It is by Billie Jean King.

Billie Jean King (née Moffitt; born November 22, 1943) is an American former World No. 1 professional tennis player. King won 39 Grand Slam titles: 12 in singles, 16 in women's doubles, and 11 in mixed doubles. King won the singles title at the inaugural WTA Tour Championships. King often represented the United States in the Federation Cup and the Wightman Cup. She was a member of the victorious United States team in seven Federation Cups and nine Wightman Cups. For three years, King was the United States' captain in the Federation Cup.

King is an advocate for gender equality and has long been a pioneer for equality and social justice.

"Ever since that day when I was 11 years old, and I wasn't allowed in a photo because I wasn't wearing a tennis skirt, I knew that I wanted to change the sport." Billie Jean King
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/billie_jean_king_403398

> TALK TUESDAYS!: Prompts will encourage a more opinionated, personal response. Get to know
> your fellow competitors...make sure you're commenting!

Speaking of ourselves has been shown, repeatedly, to make us feel good. This is your chance to talk up your accomplishments in life. Feel free to ,unashamedly, boast about your own sporting successes. (And remember, sometimes, a little victory can feel massive especially when you aren't the sporting type)

> WAR CHEST WEDNESDAYS!: A prompt from the pool of challenger-submitted prompts known as The
> Challenge War Chest.

As the Tour De France rages on, an old prompt from the creator of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge, Earl, to power your own memories of a rite of passage,

"Tell us about your memories of your bicycle."

> Thursday is THE WILDCARD ROUND!: Anything can happen! Be prepared...and you might win a
> random prize! It could be Gift Points, raffle tickets, or even a Merit Badge!

This week for Wild Card Thursday, I'd like you to invent your own sport. It can be as whimsical or as serious as you like. What would be the perfect sport for you?

> FUN FACT FRIDAY!: I'll provide you with a random fact, and you give us your take on
> it. Feel free to share a random fact of your own as well!

Ah, baseball, the all American game. Although most people have no appreciation for the sport, others really, really dig it! Here are some cool baseball facts that even the most die-hard fan may not know!

Cabbage leaf

Babe Ruth kept cool during games by wearing a wet cabbage leaf under his cap. He “turned over a new leaf” every two innings.

World Series and Super Bowl

Deion “Neon” Sanders is the only person to play in the World Series and the Super Bowl. He is also the only individual to score a touchdown in the NFL and hit an MLB home run in the same week.

Black underwear

MLB umpires are required to wear black underwear in case their pants split.

Three World Series, three teams

Don Baylor played in three World Series, but for three different teams. He played for the Boston Red Sox in 1986, the Minnesota Twins in 1987 and the Oakland Athletics in 1988.

Robert Redford

Redford attended the University of Colorado on a baseball scholarship. Redford later made the classic baseball film The Natural.

Tallest player

The Minnesota Twins’ Jon Rauch, at 6’ 11,” is major league baseball’s tallest ever player.

Man on the moon

San Francisco Giants’ manager Alvin Dark told reporters that pitcher Gaylord Perry’s hitting ability was so poor that “they’ll put a man on the moon before Gaylord Perry hits a home run.” Perry’s initial home run came on July 20, 1969 — 20 minutes after Neil Armstrong first set foot on the moon

> CREATION SATURDAY!: A creative writing prompt from the War Chest will be used. Challengers
> are encouraged to write a poem or story, but any creative interpretation is allowed (I
> once listed a recipe for fake poo)

The prompts for your creative efforts this week are "rescue", "sacrifice", and "tears", but also "there must be an upset victory".

> THE SUNDAY NEWS!: I'll take a headline from the past week, and you can share your
> thoughts and opinions on it. Encourage a discussion between your fellow bloggers

I would be remiss if I did not present an article that takes an in-depth look at the rescue of the Thai boys soccer team from the Than Luang cave complex. A place and an event where heroes were born, heroes were made, and a hero died.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/thai-cave-rescue-why-soccer-teams...

"Sedated and passed along an incredible human daisy chain, not even their rescuers expected all 12 trapped Thai boys to live."

Thanks blog squad! And I will see you this time next week with another week's worth of unofficial 30 day blogging challenge prompts.

---
SteamPunk Newsletter Out Now!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2092940 by Not Available.

---
Johny Thundersbeard
Editor, Mentor & Member.
"The Steampunk Authors' Guild
---
WDC Author of the Month May 2012
30DBC Administrator, Judge & Rejigger 2012.
Forum Master "Invalid Item 2016.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Week 3 Unofficial Blogging Challenge Prompts · 07-15-18 6:49am
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST
Re: Week 3 Unofficial Blogging Challenge Prompts · 07-19-18 5:44am
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Fivesixer.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3198912