*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3631628
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:43pm
Commentary: "The Third Time a Charm?"
by Seuzz
"The Third Time a Charm? --> "Laurent Drops the Bomb + "Minding Jessica's Business

This one was written for a commission: Why does Jessica want to switch with Will?

I'm afraid no answer was given, because I couldn't come up with one beyond the obvious: She wants to screw with Laurent and his "gang of sports clowns" (a description given me by the commissioner, which I will never get tired of). So I became more interested in another challenge given me by the commissioner: let's see something other of Jessica than cheerleader politics.

As I had to confess to the one paying for things, I don't think there is much drama in Jessica's life. She doesn't have any projects, so drama is what bubbles up day by day. And so I was driven to invent incidents by letting Will do what he does best: make a mess of things. It is all, I fear, set up for what could happen later—Laurent confirming that Jessica knows about the masks; Marc finding out about the switch; Caleb and/or James and/or Eva getting a date; Jessica's own date with Luke Richardson. I wrote all this less in the hope of cultivating a story than by casting some fertile seeds about.

Speaking of Luke Richardson: He and Taran Pritzker are "invented characters" who have been sitting on the shelf, completely unused, for a very long time, and after examining some of the supporting documentation—class rosters and the like—I realized here was a place I could bring them in. So I did. Regarding Luke I don't have much to say, since although I have a sense of his character, he hasn't done anything yet. Regarding Taran ... I don't know. I have an idea for him, but it's a big one, one so big that either I shouldn't do it, or should be very careful about opening it up.

Okay, how's that for a hint that will probably never be acted upon ...

The branch doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but it does end with two rather threatening developments. The first is in "Laurent Drops the Bomb, where Laurent point-blank asks Jessica (Will) if she believes that story Marcos told her. This was originally where I was going to send the story, but his question came out so quick I had to publish it as a fragment. I then wrote the alternate—"Jessica Has Plans—so there would be a full chapter for the day. I then gave the commissioner the choice as to where to continue the story. He chose the route that ended in "Minding Jessica's Business.

And that too ends on a threatening note. Laurent wants Will out at the wilderness, with the book, to check up on a project. If you reread the branch, you will realize that it is the golem, and that it is finished and ready to be tested.

And that it is not under anyone's control because a real piece of hair did not get used in it.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Commentary: "The Third Time a Charm?" · 03-16-24 12:43pm
by Seuzz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3631628