*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3642189
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(684)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:22pm
Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book
by Jeremy
I would consider a shift in your perspective; how you're viewing and approaching the story may need to change in order to tell the best story for these characters. If the bulk of your story happens in the past, then that's where your actual story is. Don't treat the bulk of the narrative through the lens of it being a "long flashback." It may cheapen that actual story and lessen it's impact.

I know that we as writers want to hook our readers right away. But that can often leadsa lot of us to beginning our stories in places where they really shouldn't start. If the bulk of your story is the past, that's where it should start. I know there's intrigue in "Here are these really cool characters, and guess what, they have a trouble a past, let's go figure out what happened."

You must take into account that this is the first time your readers are engaging with these characters and most will not have developed an attachment to them in one chapter (prologue). And because the readers don't yet have an emotional investment in those characters, they won't really care—for lack of a better word—about what happened in those characters' pasts. Let the reader dive into that past as its happening and experience it firsthand rather than getting the aftermath treatment of being told what happened.

Experience is immersive. Exposition is detracting.

I'd suggest finding a point in the past that aligns with your goals: something that involves the two characters during a time when their relationship is in a state of flux during a point of momentum that can propel the story forward.

Prologues can be a dirty thing and if you challenge yourself to start your story at the point where it's actually needing to be told from, you'll find you often don't need a prologue. Prologues can be false promises and can also be a lack of confidence in your story, lack of understanding of what the actual story is you're trying to tell, and can become a crutch for our writing. Be bold, and tell that story. You've got this!

Write on *Pencil* *Bigsmile*

Just me. A new signature.
MESSAGE THREAD
Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-04-24 6:22am
by L.K.
Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-04-24 7:56am
by s
Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-04-24 9:27am
by Zen
Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-04-24 10:58pm
by BIG BAD WOLF is 35 on June 3
Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-08-24 4:27pm
by L.K.
Re: Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-10-24 9:51am
by BIG BAD WOLF is 35 on June 3
Re: Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-10-24 12:05pm
by s
*Star* Re: Flashbacks as the main bulk of a book · 04-14-24 4:22pm
by Jeremy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3642189