*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1515919
Rated: XGC · Message Forum · Community · #947301
A forum for Members of Red Opium SI self help and support group.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 25, 2007 at 8:10am
Hi! and a question.
by mars
Hi to you all *Smile*

This looks a very important group to me and I'm so happy to be part of it, as Self Injury is such a taboo and such a burden to live with. So I hope that in this group we can speak openly about the bad things we do to ourselves, without having to feel very uneasy (like I feel when talking with others, who can't seem to understand why a person would do such things to him/her self).
Self help seems to me a very good way to try and improve.

Since several weeks I'm member now, so high time to say "hi" to you all and introduce myself a bit.
Living in Holland, married , mother of 3, 46 years but still struggling to cope.
My SI is not as dramatic as most people here do to themselves, for I don't cut or otherwise directly injure myself. But I don't take care of myself, I neglect myself, and I let fail many things I undertake, upto almost losing our house etc. I'm a very bad overeater, weighing well over 150 kilo's now and not doing much to stop the proces of growing.
Psychologists/psychiatrists say they can't help me anymore, I have to live with my extremely low self-esteem (according to the tests), and almost 10 year of different therapies did not bring much improvement.
My self-knowledge has increased, but I guess that is due to age rather than therapy.

I have a question though about the self-help.
Of course I heard about "self-help", but it is not very common in Holland, so I have no idea what to do, in order to help myself.
Does this group have some type of a programm, steps to follow, or so? Is there a guide how to work on improvement?

Sadly I'm not seeing too much activity in the group, so my feeling is that there is no monthly assignment or so, to lead on the way of self-help.
In the Day-in-the-Life-group there is a monthly activity, that should help to try and overcome depression. I was expecting something like that here too, as "self-help" seems to imply to take steps actually...
I understand that the group-leaders will be busy and may not have much time to organize everything. Thus I think that the members could together try to organize a programm or simply an activity, but guided by the leaders of course.

Does anybody else also feel like this? I'm not saying that I can take up the responsability, because responsabilities seem to choke me and then nothing happens.
But i feel that this could be such a valuable group to all of us and I would love to play my own small role...

My best wishes to you all and...
take care *Wink*

Maria/Mars

"Love for all, hatred for none."

Proud sponsor of *Star* emerin-liseli *Star* our newest Rising Star! *Star*

** Image ID #1184382 Unavailable **
My personal signature, when reviewing for the Angel Army
Icon to be used by Angel Army membersKindness Dove signature
the lovely butterfly Sherri Gibson gave me ** Image ID #1061061 Unavailable **
This beautiful shell was a gift from my great friendWonderful sig, made by Jem
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Hi! and a question. · 05-25-07 8:10am
by mars
Re: Hi! and a question. · 05-31-07 9:33pm
by Past Member 'faeriegirl25'
Re: Hi! and a question. · 08-31-07 9:44am
by Elaine Bradley

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, AyeRiteGud.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1515919