*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1604592
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #1315339
Here is a spot to post your favorite movie/TV lines.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 20, 2007 at 12:08am
Apollo 13
Enjoy this closing narration from "Apollo 13." Ron Howard did an amazing job of bringing back the Apollo era missions in this telling story, based on Jim Lovell's book "Lost Moon."

Jim Lovell: [narrating] (Tom Hanks) Our mission was called "a successful failure," in that we returned safely but never made it to the Moon. In the following months, it was determined that a damaged coil built inside the oxygen tank sparked during our cryo stir and caused the explosion that crippled the Odyssey. It was a minor defect that occured two years before I was even named the flight's commander. Fred Haise was going back to the moon on Apollo 18, but his mission was cancelled because of budget cuts; he never flew in space again. Nor did Jack Swigert, who left the astronaut corps and was elected to Congress from the state of Colorado. But he died of cancer before he was able to take office. Ken Mattingly orbited the moon as Command Module Pilot of Apollo 16, and flew the Space Shuttle, having never gotten the measles. Gene Kranz retired as Director of Flight Operations just not long ago. And many other members of Mission Control have gone on to other things, but some are still there. As for me, the seven extraordinary days of Apollo 13 were my last in space. I watched other men walk on the Moon, and return safely, all from the confines of Mission Control and our house in Houston. I sometimes catch myself looking up at the Moon, remembering the changes of fortune in our long voyage, thinking of the thousands of people who worked to bring the three of us home. I look up at the Moon and wonder, when will we be going back, and who will that be?

Writing credits:

Jim Lovell (book "Lost Moon") &
Jeffrey Kluger (book "Lost Moon")
William Broyles Jr. (screenplay) &
Al Reinert (screenplay)

C.Anthony
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Apollo 13 · 10-20-07 12:08am
by C. Anthony

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, C. Anthony.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1604592