SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1802534
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282022
Forum for all horror movie fans.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:07pm
Mega Snake
Now isn't that a crap name for a movie, nearly as bad as "Snakes on a Plane" - But as with the said film, don't let the title deter you from watching.

This was made on a LOW budget, and it's a "Sci-Fi" channel film - ( Hey, did I hear somebody groan? ) - and they don't have much luck with movies [ though Tin-Man was a treat ]. So we sat down to watch this one, with a plate of spaghetti bolognese on our knees, and I turned to my better half and warned her, "This is gonna be bad."

Now, my beloved usually watches the horror films with me and usually ends the viewing with her very repetitive, "That was SH*T". But, as we watched it, there were a couple of places where she leaned back into her cushions and clutched the pillow a little tighter.

The premise of the story is that as a kid our main character Les, is afraid of snakes - unlucky, because his parents are the religious nuts who like to play with venomous snakes and scorpions. Every Sunday he tries not to go to church, and ends up being dragged there. On this one occasion, in the flash back, he is handed a snake. His father seeing his sons distress, takes the snake from him while berating him for his fear. Its then the snake bites the parent. And as he dies the rest of the congregation are saying it's God's will - while only Les has the gumption and nouce to suggest getting an ambulance. His Father dies with a smile on his face.

Now you can understand why he never got over his fear.

Present day and we learn his brother, Duff, has taken over the Ministry. On the look out for some particularly poisonous snakes he comes across this Native American, Screaming Hawk, who plies them as his trade in the back of a tattoo shop. While in there he sees a strange jar, with a fast moving and tiny snake inside. Hawk tells him the story of the snake & how a long time ago it killed an entire village. He then tells Duff the secret to controlling it. 1 - Don't Open The Jar. 2 - Don't Feed It Live Meat. 3 - Don't Fear The Heart Of The Snake.

So when Duff, steals the snake, you just know the rules are gonna get broken.

And when that jar breaks, the fun begins.

I won't go into any more detail than that, cause I hate spoiling peoples viewing ( unless the film is total pants - and you could use that hour and a half more constructively, writing a story *Smile* ).

The gore is off camera or well placed behind well placed objects, though this didn't spoil the thrill ride one bit. The snake ride at the fair is particularly well shot.

Now, don't get me wrong this isn't a brilliant film - it's not - but it is one that I would watch again.

I loved the over the top "Good 'ol Boys", especially when they're out hunting the snake. They rig up a flame thrower in the flat bed and proceed to lure the creature out. And the Rebel in the back gave me the best line of the film. After asking his partner to change the music so it'll annoy the snake out of hiding he say's "Somethin' with a lotta bass." A thumpin' rock track comes on. "Somethin' I could die too."

You go brother - that's they way I wanna go - IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD.

The only let down is the snake - though that ain't too bad, it's more of the effect it'd have on the surrounding landscape. On the beach, it doesn't leave any trails; in the forest ( in fall ), it doesn't disturb any leaves. And all of the time there isn't any shadow. But to be honest you don't notice these, I'm not that picky - it's just what some of the nit-pickers on IMDB have said - but there are a few times when the snake seems too flat in a 3D world.

If you don't go looking for the answer to life, the universe, and everything, in this movie then you should enjoy it ( besides you should know the answer is 42 ). If you enjoyed the original Tremors, then you should enjoy this.

7/10

Come join me - We ALL Float Down Here.

*Balloon3* PENNYWISE *Balloon3* Stephen *Balloon3*

Cover & promo for Absolute Horror Writing Contests.

"Absolute Horror Flash Fiction Contest"   by Pennywise

"Absolute Monthly Horror Contest"   by Pennywise
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Mega Snake · 10-15-08 5:07pm
by Pennywise
Re: Mega Snake · 04-08-09 5:57pm
by *Jenny*
Re: Re: Mega Snake · 04-13-09 9:52am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1802534