*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1838312
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Opinion · #612957
warning containts some mildish language.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:53am
Does Art Follow Life, Or Does Life Follow Art?
by A Non-Existent User
Over the past month I've graduated college and have been looking for a job. I've only ever had a job as a camp counsler, never an office desk job. As I was looking for a job I was dreading being behind a desk for eight hours a day and doing paper work the whole time and things like that. I'm a vary active person so the though of a desk job was just terrable for me. I thought I would be miserable and hate every second of that long eight hours of work.

Now, here's the part that's realavant to writing. Last year I wrote a short story about a character that I have (Andrew, who is a CIA field operative) when he was injured and pulled out of the field forever. He felt the same way about a desk job as I did, he hated the idea and 'knew' he would hate it and be miserable and all those kinds of things. In the end of the story he got a job running the part of the CIA he had worked for and loveing it as much as he loved working in the field.

Now that I've been working my desk job I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. I'm not miserable and at times I even enjoy it a little. So, my question is, does art mimick life, or does life mimick art? Do we write something and then not knowing it feel the way the characters do, or do the characters feel that way because we feel that way? And where do you guys think that line is? How much do you influence your writing and how much does your writing influence you? Or do you all think I'm just plain crazy... :)

~*~Phantom~*~

"No Triumph...Without Loss... No Victory... Without Suffering... No Freedom... Without Sacrifice..."
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Does Art Follow Life, Or Does Life Follow Art? · 01-07-09 7:53am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, AngelinTwilight.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1838312